Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with strap locks! The screws are too small!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gandolf Bassist, Jun 12, 2001.

1. I posted this in another thread I started but I thought this would work better, and get more responses. Hey I went out and got some Schaller strap locks. Now I have a bit of a problem. The screws provided are too freakin small for the original screw hole! Now i tried the original screw used to keep the normal strap buttons on but it was too big to go all the way through (by the way now its stuck, but I was only going to use one on the horn any way) So now what should I do. I saw the toothpick idea and then the elmers glue idea. How about apoxy, I have a bunch of that stuff. Thanx anyone who replys in advance.

2. Do a search on strap locks, this topic always comes up. For the cliff note: stick a toothpick into the whole Then put the screw in. You will have to get the original screw out somehow.

3. Ok, here's my solution: make a new screw hold parallel to the existing one with the new screw. Just make sure you screw the straplock screw parrel to the old screwhole. I did that when mine popped off. :)

4. I think I might try the toothpick. To davy0 it is a brand new bass and I would rather not put another hole in it.

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I had the same problem with Dunlop strap locks. I don't know how they can be so stupid in making them that way.

I drilled out the hole in the straplocks so the larger screws would go through them. The metal was so damn hard I burned up about 3 drill bits on each one before getting the hole all the way through.

Then I had to grind down the big screw heads so they would fit in the indented area, otherwise the lock doesn't have enough clearance to attach.

These outfits need to wake up to our needs.

6. Yeah, i did that to my bass too..

the holes were way (!) bigger than the screws.. so i cut a match ( or toothpick, as some call it ? ) in half, put it in the hole, and squirted some glue in it.
    Then i screwed the straplock to the bass, and let the glue dry for a couple of hours.. it's tightened solid as a rock...

and for the ergodyne.. i think i'll try some epoxy on it...

- adx -