Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with stretching strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by otomak, Sep 11, 2002.

1. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hi, I was told that new strings needed to be stretched. If anyone could help me out, i'd appreciate it.

Mak

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Some people recommend stretching new strings and some don't. I only do it occasionally (when I just can't seem to get a string to stay in tune). Here's how:

1) Install your new strings.
    2) Tune each string appropriately.
    3) Gently pull each string out, away from the neck, about an inch or so, at the 12th fret. Hold this stretch for a few seconds and then gently release the string.
    4) Push on each string, right at the bridge, where the string comes off the saddle, to establish a good "seat."
    5) Check each string's tuning and retune each string accordingly.
    6) Repeat steps 1 through 5 until each string stays relatively in tune.
    7) Check your intonation (tuning at the 12th fret).

Anyone else?

3. I stretch my strings too but I do the actual stretching a little differently. After I've got a small amount of tension on the neck, I grasp the string with my fingers about 8" apart and, starting from the nut, move my hands back and forth alternating direction all the way down the string. I only have to do this once and they strings stay in tune from then on.

4. otomak

otomak

Aug 23, 2002
    Los Angeles
    thanks fer the advice guy, i'll try it out now

Mak

5. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Your fingers are 8 inches apart? The hands, man! The HANDS!

:D

6. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Beaming in from the dark side on this one. I have played strings instruments for over 40 years. I have played contrabass the longest but I have played a slab bass, guitar and dulcimer. All new strings streccccchhhhh! What you do about it is the trick I have found that good quality strings take a shorter time to strech out than el cheapos do. On everything I play I tune about a half step sharp when I first put the string on then let the ax sit for a few hours then check the tunning and tune it back up and play, play, and tune and tune for a day or so. I had a set of unknown strting on my bass and after 5 mo. they were still streaching yanked them and but some good stirngs on and they quit streching over night.

Joe
    I know I can't spell for beans, that's what a good public education got me in the 50's and 60's