Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help with string height

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by iceblinko, Aug 30, 2003.

1. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    Hey all. I was just wondering if any of you have any suggestions on string height. I heard that a very common preference is to have the E string set the highest and then have each string gradually set lower. I play a Fender American standard P bass, and I was trying to mess with the string height and now my bass feels all out of whack! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Oh, and I have read most of those "Self Set up" web pages, and they make no sense to me. Anyway, I have to run. Thanks guys!

-Tom

2. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    Mmmmhhhh, I just set up my new Stingray with that setup you mentioned (E highest.....). Take a look at your fretboard. Is it straight or has a "radius", so to say a "round" surface. If its round you might want to set up the string high in relation to the "radius". E and G quite the same hight and A and D a bit higher. (My explanations sucks, but hey it not my mother language:rolleyes: )

Sadly my Stingray has a round fingerboard but if I lower my E-String as I just told it buzzes :bawl: .

So if you dont like it as it is. Change it.
    I would recommend that you first try that new setup a bit. Two things can happen.1. The feel comes with time. 2.You get really annoyed by it.:cool: .

3. iceblinko

iceblinko

Jul 15, 2003
    Ny
    thanks man. yeah i had that same problem where if i would set the E string too low it buzzed or sounded 'muted'. i have a fender, so it is a round neck. so maybe i'll try the other set up you were talking about after a show or two. someone just told me that the 'E being the highest' set up is best for speed or something. whatever. hehe. this stuff gets so complicated sometimes. well anyway, thanks for the reply. if you have any other suggestions, i'd love to hear them. take care man.

-tom

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    All the bottoms of my strings are lined up, but that makes the E string appear highest because it is thickest and i like this setup.

5. Kruser

Kruser

Aug 13, 2001
    Germany
    Finally the best setup for speed/whatever is what suits you best.
    Finding your best suiting setup is only problem........;)