1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

need help with tapping

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ivanfeg, Jan 21, 2017.

1. ivanfeg

ivanfeg

Mar 15, 2012
    Hi, I am totally blind and am wanting to get into tapping. I play a 6 string bass. I've been able to grasp, (I think anyway,) from youtube vids. Problem is most of the videos don't acctualy explain how to do, it, they just say put your fingers here and do this movement, this movement, etc. Finally found a vid that explained the movement of tapping. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how to transform this into creating cords. Or am I jumping the gun here? Maybe some advice on how to play different cords on six strings or less would help. I've always have wanted to delve into being my own backing track but just don't know how to go about it. I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks guys.

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Chords are chords regardless of what body parts you play them with. It's all the same cluster of notes.

Pick a song you want to play.
    Find out the chords in that song.
    Find out the notes in each of those chords.
    Find those notes on your bass.
    Then play those notes with one or both hands.

Unfortunately there's no trick or shortcut to it. You just play them. You can strum, slap, tap, pick, etc. Whatever makes it sound how you want it to sound and doesn't hurt you is the right way to do it.

Start with a simple song you can already hum the parts of. 2 or 3 chords max. You'll find it's easy once you start recognizing the shapes that the notes fall into.

Mushroo likes this.
  3. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    My main reason for tapping is to incorporate both low and high notes that would otherwise be impossible to play together. So, I will tap the low note by hammering my left hand down and arpeggiate the remaining notes with my right. For example, hammer the A 5th fret (E string) then tap D 12th fret (D string) with your 1st finger followed by F# 11th fret (G string) with your 2nd finger -- this gives you a nice 2nd inversion D chord. You can follow this up with other chords in the same way -- low note, left hand, remaining chordal notes, right hand. You can either arpeggiate or tap simultaneously. Or use your right hand to turn harmonized notes into a melody.

4. T-Funk

T-Funk

Jul 2, 2005
    USA
    The following 4 part tap tutorial by Anthony Crawford might help your understanding and expand your concepts:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Also, the Ultimate Tapping for Bass Guitar book by Stuart Clayton would be beneficial to further increase your knowledge and will provide further exercises for improvement.

Nashrakh likes this.
  5. Shamalama

Shamalama

Jan 26, 2017
    New England
    Best way to practice it is just to tap arpeggios you already know or add notes to chords by tapping especially on a 6