Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with Tascam Portastudio 424 mkIII 4-track

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Aaron, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I borrowed one from my friend and i'm having a problem figuring out how to get tapes with more than 2 tracks to play in tape decks. I can only get the first two tracks to play. I can hear all tracks when i listen through the tascam, though.

2. You have to mix it down to another tape.

You go line out from the tascam (RCA's I presume) into another tape deck. press "record" on the other tape deck then "play" on the tascam.

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I was trying to do that with the auxilary input in my bookshelf system, but it didn't work, so i may have to find a tape deck with the rca inputs.

4. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Okay, i don't have a tapedeck with an input. I've tried putting the tascam through auxillary inputs but it doesn't work.

5. The kind of deck I use is one from a big component stereo. They usually have RCA In and outs.

6. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Yea, i tried that and it didn't work on multiple systems and outputs from the tascam.

7. Do you have the volume up on all 4 tracks when you do this? If you do you should get all 4 tracks sent out simultanelously on the rca outs of the Tascam. I have done this many times with my old 414.

Also check the input switches to make sure that they are set to tape as the input.

8. What he said:)

9. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    the tascam portastudio 424 is a piece of crap!
    urg I hate that thing...I can offer no assistance or advice, I had a 424, I hated it, couldn't get anything done, the only thing I used it as was a mixer.

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    This post may be redundant but what the heck I have to go some to make the least constructive comments.

Set all the switches at the 'top' to tape. Set the effects 1 knobs to zero. Set sliders 1-4 and the main one at 70% (in the grey area). You aint doing any fancy mixing just trying to send a signal.

Connect up the 424's 'line out' phono lead outputs to a tape deck, CD recorder PC soundcard whatever. You will probably have to buy a lead.

My 'hifi' has aux ins with an input selector. It might be best to check that you are selecting the source with the source selector and not the recording device. No sarcasm intended. It's easy to do (I've done it). Use any input leds or needles ont he recording medium to check that you are getting a signal.

I've recorded to CD PC and tape with medium hassle the first time I did it. Hang in there.