1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with the name of an electronic part

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by WarriorJoe7, Sep 14, 2008.

  1. WarriorJoe7

    WarriorJoe7 Banned

    Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    The part I need must combine 8 wires together (rather than try to just lump them together with solder.) It has to be small enough to fit into a jazz bass control cavity.

    It could look different than this example below but that was my initial idea. With this particular one I would have to put the 8 wires in one side then connect the terminals on the other side. Perhaps there is some kind of sleeve where i just insert the 8 wires and they are connected already. It doesn't have to be circular but it has to be small.

    I need to know the name of the part to look up on ebay. I do not know what these parts are called so I can't search for them.

    Help would be GREATLY appreciated.


    BTW these ones pictured are way to large at 1.25 inches across
  2. Alcyon


    Jan 15, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    this looks like a tube socket to me.
  3. WarriorJoe7

    WarriorJoe7 Banned

    Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    yes I think it might be. I need something similiar but smaller
  4. kb9wyz


    Sep 8, 2008

    If all you need to do is combine 8 wires together, then just get yourself a crimp connector that can hold 8 conductors of the size you're using. Or, if you want it less permenant, you can use a wire nut, but this might not work as well since it might come loose with all the movement a bass goes though. One more way would be a screw teminal. You would just insert your wires and tighten a screw. You can even use locktite to keep the screw in place.

    Check out McMaster-Carr for the parts, www.mcmaster.com

  5. electroken


    Sep 2, 2008
    Shelton, CT
  6. WarriorJoe7

    WarriorJoe7 Banned

    Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    electroken your link doesn't work...
  7. electroken


    Sep 2, 2008
    Shelton, CT
    OK... let's try plan B. If you go to waytekwire.com and search for item #37016, you'll see what I was trying to link to,
  8. Passinwind

    Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You could use any number of different readily available screw-on or solder-on terminal blocks (Google Euroblock, for instance), or something like a Molex connector pair if you want the ability to unplug the whole harness in one shot. Surf the Mouser and Digikey sites for "connectors" for a while (or McMaster as was already suggested), you should find tons of things that'll work.
  9. markkoelsch


    Sep 6, 2008
    I would do a search for terminal blocks. This should meet your needs I think.
  10. WarriorJoe7

    WarriorJoe7 Banned

    Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
  11. Nighttrain1127

    Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

    Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    What you need is an 8 pin DIN plug used to be available at Radio shack ect male and female are available. Tyhey are much smaller than what you have pictured an 8 pin should be the size of a quarter.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.