1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help with this '69 vintage jazz on the bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pbass888, Aug 14, 2012.

1. pbass888

pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Hi guys i am looking at this 69 jazz bass on the bay and would love some opinions on it. I have bought a fender book and read it but am certainly no expert on vintage basses. The seller tried to sell it before ,but did not get his min bid, highest bid was around 1500. Any thoughts on this bass from my fellow tb'ers are greatly appreciated. Truss rod looks maxed? Obviously stripped a few times and partially refin?
    Thank you!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=180951965721&globalID=EBAY-US

2. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    He claims the truss rod works, but I'd stay away unless I could get a great deal on it. It might only have a few turns left before it'll need a washer...could also be indicative that it has other issues like ski-jumps, etc.

I was looking at that bass, too, but if it's not going for less than $1600 or so, I'll keep my pennies.

Granted, a 69 Jazz is worth a bit more than $1600, but it's stripped, has weird black paint around it, and that truss looks like trouble. That could end up costing a LOT to fix an issue like that. I'd bid maybe $1200, tops. But that's just me, and I don't have a ton of money to throw around.

3. pbass888

pbass888

Jul 8, 2009
    New York, NY
    Thank you! I believe you are right a ski jump is possible. Thanks for your input about the truss rod. Much appreciated!