Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with this computer problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stachio, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Let's just say that my experience with Dell has been less than optimal since I've purchased my computer. I'd like to say that it's only been minor problems until now, but no such luck. To top it off, their CS department is not the most efficient (spend 5 hours on the phone to have them tell me that I should uninstall McAfee manually to solve my wireless card problem).
    To the point though: lately, my Dell laptop (less than a year old) has been randomly shutting off...not hibernating...just plain out shutting off even while programs are running or the CD-ROM is functioning. I've sent them an e-mail, but I don't expect too much in terms of help from them.
    Any ideas, or anybody have experience with this?

2. I don't know much about what could be the cause from that info, but try checking your cpu temperature immediately after a crash. (go into the bios on bootup)

Laptops aren't exactly known for overheating, especially when not running cpu-intensive applications, but that's one cause I've fought that causes computers to shutdown and/or crash randomly. (mine had a crappy/defective heatsink)

3. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks.
    I've noticed that it shuts down after a couple of hours and not right away so that might explain things.
    Dell laptops are notorious for heating up.

4. What seems like a great deal at first turns into a nightmare so many times.

From my experience, Dell is actually the best out of all the brand name PC's (Compaq/HP, Sony, Gateway, IBM)...Now don't get me wrong; I'm not saying Dell is good, but rather that it's less bad than the others. I don't know how many times I tell people: If you want a fast, reliable machine, nothing beats a clone put together by yourself or by a trusted computer shop in your area if you don't know how to do it yourself. With regards to laptops, Dells and HPs are usually decent.

Now onto your problem...The only thing I can think of that would make a laptop simply turn off is...nothing actually....if it's rebooting, it may be that you have "reboot on critical error" checked and something is crashing, thereby rebooting the machine. If the machine is simply turning off I would bet my bass that it's a hardware problem most likely related to heat. It should be under warranty so I wouldn't waste any more time...get an RMA and send it back.

The problem with Dell's (and everyone else's) tech support is that it's in India. They give Ahmad an American name like Johnny and he tries to solve your problems by essentially typing your problem into their search database as well as google. This FAQ database is the same one available to anyone on the web but most people don't realize it. If you go to the knowledge bases from www.dell.com, that's the same resource that Khalid and friends use to help people when they can't find the "any" key.

Sorry to be the bearer of grim news but laptops spontaneously turning off is usually related to hardware. You could also try flashing the bios if you're not running the latest one already.

5. Stachio

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    Thanks for the reply.
    I figured it was probably hardware related but trying to get this taken care off is liking pulling teeth with Dell. They do make a decent product (that's why I paid so much to get it)but all this has left a bad taste in my mouth, especially for this price range.
    Interesting thing about their tech's...I actually noticed the Indian accents but noticed they always gave me very American names, along with incompetent and slow service. That's why I deal via e-mail now.
    All this with finals looming...

6. TomLeggate

TomLeggate

Feb 21, 2004
    The solution I have found to every PC problem is:

format C:

then reinstall windows. Although maybe that is/has been overkill in some situations!

7. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    Could be overheating that would cause a immediate shut down, but you could always reformat in the WCS.

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't see the connection. How would it be better if a guy whose real name is Johnny was sitting at a computer in America typing the problem into a search database (which is the way that most corporations' client support departments operate in America)? What's the correlation between it being in India and the way that the problem solving is done that equates to the problem being that they are located in India?
    The more I read the first sentence in the quoted paragraph the less it makes sense in light of the rest of your post.

brad cook

9. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Bad battery connection? One of my friend's laptops used to do that, and it turned out to be the computer auto-shutting down because the battery, when jogged a tiny, tiny bit, disconnected slightly.