Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help with this new technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by adisu, Jun 26, 2005.

1. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    I got this new technique i'm working on for a month or two.
    IT's the one that you use your index and middle fingers to hit the string two times each ,on it's way up and on it's way down. (a bit like the DT but with the index and middle fingers).

Now... i wanted to know if anybody here use this technique and can give me some piece of advice on what's the best way practice it?
    My main problem is that when i do it fast i mistakely hit the string above the one i'm playing... i tried to move my thumb to the string above the one i'm playing but it realy slows me down, as i'm used to placing my thumb up on the E string.

Thanks in advance. :)

2. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    I remember i started doing that a bit, but then i stopped because i didn't like the sound, it sound different when you hit with your tips than with your nails, because that's what you do right?

index, middle, index nail, middle nail?

If you wanna practice this then just do scales, or something...

3. Yeah, I've tried that too, and I just didn't like the sound of the nail on the string on the way back up. But you could definitely use it to accent notes or make them sound a bit different.

4. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    adisu,

I think the great Chuck Rainey pioneered this technique back in the 70s. You may want to check out (if you can find anything) his words on the topic.

Good luck.

5. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Just practice regular exercises with some longer notes. Maybe play anything a quarter-note or shorter normally and anything a half-note or longer using the technique you're talking about (as a succession of 32nd-note triplets or something, of course). Also practice double-stops, then move on to chords.

If you want to you could practice classical guitar or classical mandolin tremolo exercises - they will give you a serious workout.

6. adisu

adisu I admit it, I'm a "user"

Apr 8, 2005
    Israel
    @ suckbird, yes this is the technique i'm talking about ...the sound of the nails hitting the string is actually not as good as the sound of the tips but it gives me an option to a very fast cross moves.

@ CJK84 , thanks mate i'll look for Chuck's way of doing it.

Anyway i need to know where people who use this technique (if there's anyone who stick to this technique) put there thumb ? leave it up there on the E string and being careful not to hit other strings (steady thumb) while playing or putting the thumb on the string above the string they are playing at the time (moving thumb)???

what sound more logical to you guys to do?

7. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    I keep my thumb in one place (in your case the E string - I play lefty-strung-righty and use various tunings). Otherwise doing repeated fast string crossings (playing on one string and then another) would get pretty awkward.

8. eldave777

eldave777

May 24, 2005
    I also keep my thumb in one place when using that technique. Also I keep my 'picking fingernails' very short and try to only use the tip of my finger to hit the strings. At first you might try playing the G at the twelth fret, and just speed up as you go to get used to the feel. I suggest getting a good compressor to even out the attack. :bassist:

9. chuck rainy describes his technique quite thoroughly in "The Complete Electric Bass Player - Book 1: the method". it has photos and stuff. it never really did anything for me, but if you really want i can scan those pages and email them to you..

all the best,
    andy.