1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with this pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassthunder100, May 9, 2010.

1. :help:

What i'm trying to gain info on is the Pete Cornish line selector, chris from muse uses one (and before anyone goes of on one about how there are millions of muse threads yes i did a search and no there was nothing on what im looking for) anyway yes chris from muse uses one and im unclear on what it does if anyone can help me out on what its actual functions are. Here are some images of when he used it (mostly during the shobiz and origin of symetrey era)

Shobiz era:
    http://www.musewiki.org/images/Chrisshowbizpedalboard.jpg

The pete Cornish is on the right

Origin Of Symetrey era:
    http://www.musewiki.org/images/Chrisoriginpedalboard.jpg
    here he has it on the left

I'm pretty sure it's not an amp selector switch because during shobiz he only used one amp and i think the same applies for Origin of symetrey.

Oh also if anyone could work out the signal chain from the pictures of all the effects.. well then your hero :D

2. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I'm pretty sure that I was reading on TB the other day about this. I believe it said that it has two parallel effects loops, and he had the Animato in one loop and the LS-2 in the other loop. His other effects were then in the parallel loops of the LS-2, effectively giving him 3 channels. I could be wrong so don't take this as 100% fact. I'll see if I can dig up the thread.

EDIT:

Looks like I had the right idea but the wrong execution.

3. Thanks for the info but i'm still unclear on how it functions?
    are there any pedals that have the same sort of function so i could read more into it?
    even though your reply was very helpful im still confused.

4. anyone?

5. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I'm not sure how much background knowledge of effects you've got, so my apologies if there's a bunch of stuff in here that you already know.

There are some pedals called 'True Bypass Loopers'. They have four jacks - in, out, send, return. Your bass gets plugged into 'in' and 'out' goes to your amp. Send goes to the input of another effects pedal, and return comes from the output of the other pedal (this is the 'loop'). The looper has a footswitch which brings the loop in and out of the signal path, so when it is off you bass signal goes straight through the looper and into the amp, but when you turn it on it gets sent through the loop and the other pedal. They are useful for if you have a pedal that is noisy even when turned off, or a pedal that sucks your tone even when turned off. Alternatively, you can put several pedals in the loop so that when you turn the looper on, all of the pedals in the loop come on at the same time so that you don't have to turn several pedals on at once.

You can get loopers that have several of those individual loopers in one box, so you have several effects loops and several footswitches, but usually they are wired in 'series', which means that you signal goes into the first loop and then into the second loop and then into the third and then into your amp, which would be the same as if you had several of the individual loopers and just wired them all up one after the other with patch cables.

However, some of the multiple loopers are wired in 'parallel', which means that rather than going through each loop in turn, your signal is split at the start and goes through all of the loops at the same time, and then all of the signals are joined together at the end. This means the you could, for example, have no effects in one loop, have fuzz in another loop, and then have synth in another loop, and then when they are joined together at the end you've got three different sounds all at the same time, and you can hear the clean uneffected sound mixed with the fuzz mixed with the synth.

The Pete Cornish pedal is a parallel looper, with two effects loops. One loop had no effects in, so was Chris' clean sound. The other loop had the Boss LS-2 in.

The Boss LS-2 does exactly the same thing as the Pete Cornish box. Chris put the Animato into the first loop of the LS-2, and all of his other effects into the other loop of the LS-2 so that he could use the LS-2 to blend the Animato with various combinations of other effects. He might have the Animato turned on, and at the same time the Deep Impact so there are a synth sound and a fuzz sound happening at the same time. Then, because the LS-2 is in a loop of the Pete Cornish with the clean sound in the other loop, he could blend a clean tone in with all of the fuzzy mess coming from the LS-2.

I hope all of that makes sense. If not then someone else will have to have a go.

6. This helps a great deal thanks a lot.
    Could you recomend any parallel loopers?
    i want to do a simular process except when i use the ls2 have my korg g5 seperate from the rest of my pedals which will probably be in loop A while hte Korg in B.

but yes first i need to find a parallel looper.

once again many thanks

7. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Boss LS-2 does this, and has a level control for each channel so that you can balance them. I have one on my board that I use for this exact application. Works beautifully. There are a few others out there, but I can't recall any off the top of my head.

8. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    I've also been wondering about this. I have an LS-2 but I'd like to have three loops going; clean, distortion and synthy. I really don't want to pick up another LS-2 I don't really think I'll need all those bells and whistles that will come with another LS-2 just essentially a blend knob for each of the two loops and a switch to switch between A, B, both or off. Sorry if this is a simple question but I will admit the more thinking I put into loops the more confused I get.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    The Wounded Paw Super Blender has 3 loops with a footswitch for each loop. Alternatively there are a number of custom builders who could make you one, or you could make one yourself. I think that the LS-2 is probably the cheapest ready-made box out there.