Need help with Tobias info???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VJP, Feb 21, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I played a used Tobias 6 today at a local GC. It is a real nice bass, but I'm trying to determine if it is overpriced. Don't know much about these basses (neither did the kid at GC).

They have it listed simply as a "Basic 6". The serial # is 2551. The was no info on the bass regarding where it was made. Don't know if it is US, Korean or pre/post Gibson. They want $2200 for it.

I sent an email to Mike Tobias. He was kind enough to respond in about 15 minutes. All he could tell me, though, was that his last serial # was 2044, and he has no info on this bass.

Are there any Tobias experts out there who can help? I like the bass alot, but don't know if it's worth $2200

Thanks

Vinnie

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Only my opinion, but if its not made by Mike, its not worth $2200- i have sold "real" Tobiases for around $2200-2500 - a post Mike Tobias model should be less than that- the irony is that Gibson for a while was selling their Tobias for thouands more than you could get a handmade MTD from Mike for !! THAT made NO sense at all!! its probably a nice bass, just not $2200 worth- you can find used MTD made by the man himslf for that much.... sometimes.

3. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks for the reply, Adrian. I thought that was a little pricey for a non-Mike type bass.

Hey, is that Roscoe 6 you had still available? I'm looking for a 6, preferably a Smith, Roscoe or maybe Tobias/MTD, but I'd like to keep it under 2 grand ( or trade - I've got a Q5 or a Smith 5 bolt on/ J style pickups)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you're welcome, man- that Roscoe is gone, sorry- i am sending you a pm on a 6 string related subject--