Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with Tobias info???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by VJP, Feb 21, 2003.

1. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    I played a used Tobias 6 today at a local GC. It is a real nice bass, but I'm trying to determine if it is overpriced. Don't know much about these basses (neither did the kid at GC).

They have it listed simply as a "Basic 6". The serial # is 2551. The was no info on the bass regarding where it was made. Don't know if it is US, Korean or pre/post Gibson. They want $2200 for it.

I sent an email to Mike Tobias. He was kind enough to respond in about 15 minutes. All he could tell me, though, was that his last serial # was 2044, and he has no info on this bass.

Are there any Tobias experts out there who can help? I like the bass alot, but don't know if it's worth $2200

Thanks

Vinnie

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Only my opinion, but if its not made by Mike, its not worth $2200- i have sold "real" Tobiases for around $2200-2500 - a post Mike Tobias model should be less than that- the irony is that Gibson for a while was selling their Tobias for thouands more than you could get a handmade MTD from Mike for !! THAT made NO sense at all!! its probably a nice bass, just not $2200 worth- you can find used MTD made by the man himslf for that much.... sometimes.

3. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    Thanks for the reply, Adrian. I thought that was a little pricey for a non-Mike type bass.

Hey, is that Roscoe 6 you had still available? I'm looking for a 6, preferably a Smith, Roscoe or maybe Tobias/MTD, but I'd like to keep it under 2 grand ( or trade - I've got a Q5 or a Smith 5 bolt on/ J style pickups)

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    you're welcome, man- that Roscoe is gone, sorry- i am sending you a pm on a 6 string related subject--