1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help with trying to figure out what freqs are manipulated by amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hutzbordello, Jul 21, 2012.

1. hey so im trying to make my bass come out more in the band setting

i was wondering if anyone knows how i can tell what frequencies im manipulating by using the EQ on my GK MB 500 2x10.

i usually scoop the mids as it sounds better, but im pretty sure this makes it really hard to hear in a mix. I can do the research to find out which ones will move my sound to the front, or at least audible levels.

also if im completely off base here, maybe some info to get me on the right track?

2. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    According to the back of the owner's manual:

EQ:
    Bass 60 Hz
    Lo Mid 250 Hz
    Hi Mid 1 kHz
    Treble 7 kHz

Voicing Contours:
    50 Hz
    500 Hz
    7 kHz

3. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    What sounds good practicing at home by yourself isn't necessarily going to sound so hot when you play with the band I tweak my tone at home until my bass sounds absolutely perfect, but I Have to tweak the settings every time I play with other musicians. Short story, don't fall too in love with the tone you get at home.

Scooping your mids will add to this effect. Midrange is really where it's at as far as being heard with a band

4. ha thanks samsound, i probably should have consulted that before asking. im not even sure where i stashed that thing haha

also i totally agree prd004, it seems like trying to find a tone that works for you, and the band is just as much of an art as playing XD

5. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I have never understood or seen it explained what the numbers translate to as far as notes on the fret board.
    I have always turned the knobs until it sounds good.

6. that sounds like a long, somewhat boring, engineering lecture, but i would be totally down to learn if someone could explain it here

7. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
  8. Based on my experiences (with different amps than what you have, to be clear), your best bet will be to start by cutting the bass back. 50hz mightn't seem that low to some, but it is a very soft, imprecise area of the sonic spectrum, and you quick, reactive bass frequences are, believe it or not, a fair bit higher than that. Frequencies that low, in a live band situation, do a lot of wall rattling but wont get you "heard", only felt, so get rid of 'em.

Your low-mid control is where your punchy bass frequencies are. They mightn't sound so "sweet", but they're still sitting under every other instrumemt in the band (with the possible exception of the kick drum, but this is a good thing). You want to turn up that low-mid control to get you "low end", you'll find it very "smooth" in the sense that you'll get a lot of cutting power with those frequencies, but all your mid range growl will be left alone.

From there, it's a choice. If you want to get some sweetness or bite to your sound, turm your highs up. If you want high-end grind with very minimal fret noise, thn I suggest you turn the highs up but switch your tweeter off. If you want a flatter sound that has cutting power but is more neutral, turn up your high-mids instead of the highs. From what I know, there are more tone controls on those Markbass amps, but you shouldn't need to use them; a 4-band eq should be enough to shap your sound to what you need.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Bear in mind that those numbers are the frequency centers, and adjacent frequencies will also be affected when you turn a dial.

10. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I don't remember if the manual states the filter slopes, but yes in deed.

11. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    GK's seemed to be mid scooped with the controls set flat.
    See FDECK's site for how to test this with a simple PC

Cut the lows and highs and boost the mids.
    Or get a FOH engineer to run the sound, consult with you on your sound.