Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help with Unwanted String Noise - Using Ken Smith Roundwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by abngourmet, Apr 14, 2005.

1. abngourmet

abngourmet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2004
    USA
    I need some help! I put a new set of Ken Smith Roundwounds on my '79 Musicman Stingray, .40-.95. They're great strings, except .... now I have a good amount of unwanted string noise on the open A string. It just rattles. I had Rotosound strings (RS 66LCs) on it before, same gauge, and didn't have this problem. I have the string down as far as it can go on the tuning peg post, so that isn't the problem. I suppose I could put a string tree on it, but I don't want to do that (my Stingray is totally stock, and I want to keep it that way). I've seen a video of Beaver Felton playing, and he had a device on his headstock that eliminated such noise. Anyone know what it is, and where I could get such a device? Or does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Alan

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Like it rattles at the nut too much? Either get a longer string for more downward tension at teh tuning post or go the route with the tree.

I'm outta ideas...