Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help with used CIJ '75 J!!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JohnnyA, Sep 17, 2004.

1. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    Ok, here's the deal. Today during my 3rd period spare I was in a local pawn-shop to browse around, and what was there, you ask? None other than a gorgeus 75 reissue Jazz bass. Natural with a tortoise pickguard and maple board with white block inlays. Beautiful. I pick it up and it fits me perfectly. I've played like I couldn't believe.

The price on it was $699 Canadian, marked down from 750. I don't know if this is a good price or not, and since it IS a pawn shop, I should be able to talk them down a little.

Does this sound reasonable?

Oh, and one more thing, the bridge pick-up wobbles a little when you jiggle it. Is this a big problem or a quick fix?

Any help is more than appreciated. I hope some people reply quick, I might go out to get it tonight.

Thanks

peace
    johnny

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'd be sure to point out to the pawn-meister the pickup wobbles, you'll need to have that professionally repaired ;) probably needs some foam under it and the screws tightened up a bit. You should tell him you want some off for that, and offer $500 cash for it on the spot. Helps to show cash (counting up in the wallet is good), if he says no, just walk out the door. If he really wants to move it, he'll follow you. If he comes back with a counter-offer, offer 1/3 the difference between your last offer and his. I.E., you offer 500, he says 600, you shoot back 530, he says 575, you say 545, etc. I use this method a lot, and it works a lot. If you actually have to leave, he'll know you're serious. But set yourself a price that you will not go over.

3. j-bass

j-bass

Feb 5, 2004
  4. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004
    Onatrio.Canada
    Update: I just went and bought the bass. I couldn't help myself. It's SOOOOOO sweet. I'm in love.

I mentioned the pick-up wobble and a little scratch and he (the sales man) didn't charge me tax, which was good for me. He was selling it on consignment so he didn't go down too much, so I got it for a flat $700 . He was a good guy, I got a three month warranty (in writing) and got a free set-up and set of strings for anytime within those three months. Not too shabby.

Thanks for the suggestions all the same. Now I must go play some bass......

peace
    johnny

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    You know we dont believe you without pictures :D

6. ApeIsHigh81

ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    CA
    :D :D :D You need to start a "look at my new girl" thread

7. Sweet. I have a CIJ 75' reissue as well. It's sunburst with rosewood and blocks. I really dig it. I hadn't played a Fender that I loved until I got this one.

-Geoff

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    That would necessitate a new girl; gimme time, gimme time, i'm workin' :smug:

9. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Did you buy it new ? Has anyone bought an Ishibashi New ?