Need help with value of my rig!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dsmith, Dec 31, 2001.

1. dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I need some help with the value of my rig. I am being forced to sell my amp, and want to make sure it sells quickly, but I can't give it away. I saved for 6 months to buy this thing, and it breaks my heart to have to sell, but thats another story. I posted the amp for sale on TB over a week ago, and did have one offer, but they have since backed out.

Hartke 5000 head, and 4.5 XL cabinet. Purchased new in June of this year, and is in excellent condition. I paid a little over $1200.00, for the rig.

Do I sell them as one item on ebay, or do I split them up? Reserve price auction, or not? Thats the real quesiton, if a reserve price is better, what price do I put on it to make sure it sells. Any other things to remember when selling on ebay?

I would rather ask you guys, since some of you buy and sell equipment all the time. Any help appreciated.
  2. Bassstud1

Bassstud1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2001
    LaPorte Indiana USA
    I have bought and sold on Ebay. Your problem on Ebay is that your stuff is brand new and you probably are going to be lucky to get 65-70% of the purchase price. Depending upon how bad you need the money I would put them on seperatly and set the reserve at 80% of the original cost of the equipment I think you said you paid $1200 for the equipment you would be more than lucky to get $350 for the head and $500 for the speakers. But I would set my reserve there and state in the description that "I will probably sell to the highest bidder anyway". Good luck to you
  3. hammong

Apr 11, 2001
    Sparks, Maryland
    eBay is a great place to move equipment, but as mentioned previously -- you're not going to get "like new" prices for it.

Your best bet is indeed to post your gear as two seperate items, and make sure you have GOOD photos of it to accompany the auctions. People generally won't pay top-dollar for items they can't SEE.

I've sold some items on eBay and gotten really high prices for some things. Most recently I sold a pair of Mackie HR824 studio monitors for $1000 + shipping, and I think I paid $1200 for them THREE YEARS ago. It's all in how your put your ad together, and what keywords you use in the ad title.

Best of luck!