1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help with Vintage Fender Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kdsi44, May 13, 2010.

1. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    Hey guys. I need some help identifying this bass. I think it's a 1973 P-bass. That's based on the serial number. I haven't taken the bass apart. Here are some pics. Any thoughts and info you could give would be great. [DEL]Looks like a nitro finish to me[/DEL]. After talking to several people, I agree that this is a poly finish. I had no idea poly could wear like this. It looks SO COOL. Check the pics.

DSC_0057_2.

DSC_0066_2.

DSC_0064_2.

DSC_0076_2.

DSC_0078_2.

DSC_0082_2.

More pics here: http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f173/kdsi44/fender precision/

2. Looks pretty right to me but i dont think fenders had a blackguard in 73, pretty sur ethat was 74 or 75. Also 73's did not come in nitro

3. Daveomd

Daveomd

Feb 28, 2010
    Looks like a poly finish to me, bridge is correct for 73, black guard could possibly have been there in 73...what's the number on the neck plate? Trouble with trying to identify a Fender from that era is that they sometimes just grabbed whatever parts were around, so you could have a neck and body from 73 with pickups from 74 and a black guard. The serial # could overlap between those years, so of course that's a 74 even though the neck says 73.

4. My thoughts? P-Bass with Chromes= Tonal Heaven. :bassist:

5. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    73's definitely didn't come in nitro. the last year for that was 1968.

the neck has a shunk stripe/teardrop which kinda baffles me. my '73 definitely doesn't. i also think that in 1973 the thumbrest was on the treble side for the last year. IIRC, it went to the bass side in '74.

here's a few pics of my 100% original '73 for reference:

73pbass-1-w.

73pbass-5-w.

73pbass-3-w.

6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    73 is a poly, not nitro finish. If it is 73, then it's very late in 73 or more likely it's 74 with some parts that date to 73, which would have been pretty typical. Black guard plus the thumb rest above the strings points to this. Of course, pot dates, neck stamps and pickup codes would help.

The only nitro on that era fenders is the face of the headstock...you can tell by the fact that the color is different as is the texture and thickness of the finish.

I also note that someone had a strap button on the back of the headstock, or its an older neck than we think.

7. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    it's def nitro, I've never heard or seen poly wear like this....have you guys? the serial actually puts it from 1973-1975

8. craigb43

craigb43

Nov 20, 2007
    Oregon
    man , that is a beauty ! , not sure what mine is yet , pulling the neck as soon as my pups come in , probably going back to the vintage bridge too , I think it is a 1974

Attached Files:

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    If it's definitely nitro, then it's not a mid seventies bass. Its either a refin or an older instrument. Really you need to take it apart to get a better idea. The serial number doesn't mean anything as the neck plate is about the easiest part of a fender instrument to change.

10. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    I've been researching this tonight and alot of people say that it was common for Fender to use a poly base and laquer top coat up until the late 70's....anyone ever heard of this?

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    that strap button hole on the back of the neck is not in the correct location for a vintage neck, so someone added that later. and the skunk stripe on a rosewood board makes me think that its a 75 or later. when i was working in a music store, we were a fender dealer and i bought a brand new one in 1974, only with a maple neck, and it had a tortoise guard, but it was actually a dot matrix print of a tortoise-shell pattern, so they must've discontinued the nitro guards in '74, and later in '74 they went to b/w/b. and thumbrest was on the bass side.

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Nope. I've also handled a lot of fenders from the 70's era and never seen one past 68 that isn't poly. Except for the headstock face, due to problems with poly and the decals they used.

Time to get out the screw driver. If the body really is nitro, you'll be able to tell a few things, like if there are screw holes in the proper pre-74 side of the strings. What's the deal with the drill hole behind the headstock?

13. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    looks like someone added a strap button along they way, like the 62's

14. Poly can wear like that , fender poly of the early 70's is nothing like the super thick plastic of the late 70's. Fenders of the era had a thin poly coat much like the new fenders.

15. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    So does everything look right for a 74 precision??

16. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    You'd wanna take it apart to be 100% sure - look for neck stamp, and neck pocket identifications for starters

17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I see a mid or later 70's P-bass body with a replacement neck. It is pretty much a parts bass with mostly older Fender parts. When did the bridge intonation screws look like that? '75?

18. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    no.

19. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    There might be some parts from '74. Hard to say.

The body might be a bit older or newer. The neck is not a 70's P-bass neck. It might even be a non-Fender replacement. The pickguard doesn't quite fit. Not saying it is not a Fender, just that the PG shrinkage induced break at the output jack and the pucker on the lower horn probably indicate the holes didn't line up well, not that it is old. That suggests the guard is not the original one for that instrument.

Tuners are nice...when was the Fender Logo used on the tuners? '80s?

20. kdsi44

kdsi44

Oct 18, 2004
    what makes you say its not a 70's fender neck?