1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need HELP with warwick thumb mec preamp question!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jaysonius, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Jaysonius

Jaysonius

Aug 7, 2012
    Hey, i have a warwick thumb neck-thru 4 string and the mec 2-band preamp just blew in it. i really need to know the part number for the preamp so that i can order a new one. if anyone has any info at all that could help me acquire a new preamp for this bass, i really really need it. i have several gigs coming up and this is an emergency. any info as to where i could easily get one (warwick seems to give endless run-around), part number and price, that would be amazing. please. i'm desperate here...

2. WarwickOfficial

WarwickOfficial

May 15, 2012
    Warwick & Framus Social Media
    Hello Jaysonius - Sorry to hear you're having issues. I'm more than happy to assist you, and get you back in action. Please call Dan at the NY Custom Shop, and he will help you out. You can email d.africano@warwick.de or call 212-777-6990. He's a great guy and very helpful. Either way - we will get you up and gigging! Please let me know if you've got any questions or if I can assist in any way. Thanks!

3. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    hello, I installed on my Corvette a Thumb's MEC preamp with passive pickups Basslines but I do not know how to solder the wires (black, white, purple) on the jack out.
    I have 3 contacts, short, medium, long on it.. what is the right connection.
    I've tired
    black->long
    purple->medium
    white->short
    like my streamer lx, but it don' t work.. :(
    anyone can help me?
    thanks to all
    BD

4. Typically, the longest terminal is the sleeve, the medium terminal is the ring, and the shortest terminal is the tip.

5. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    Thank you line6man, this is right too, but my questione is about the cables color...i don't know if black must be wired to sleeve, ring or tip, and same for the other cables..

6. orangejulius3

orangejulius3 Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Warwick Corvette when I was giving it a good clean.

Hope this helps.

fXemd9S.
    Dc7VbI8.

7. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    Something went wrong ..
    I soldered as in the picture posted by you, but the bass is not played in passive .. I had to hold the jack in the middle of the female jack to make it sound, so I reversed the black and purple and now in passive sound properly (push / pull up ) but the pre nopn is activated, as if not close the circuit.
    the pickups are passive .. could be a problem?
    may be faulty preamp?

8. orangejulius3

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    Sounds like either your getting ground problems or preamp went wonky with wiring.

What were you doing in the cavity? Was there something that happened? Or we're you replacing or cleaning something?

Here's another picture of my warwick thumb jack with same wiring.

FtOeWvD.

9. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    It is not nothing strange happened and connections seem stable, the 'only thing that I have not connected is the metal cable on the pot ground (in your pcture I think is the mass of the bridge).
    Just an update, connected black - sleeve, pUrple - rings, white - tip, the bass not sound it active or passive. If i remove the battery, in passive mode sounds correctly.. I do not understand ....

10. orangejulius3

May 6, 2013
    La Habra CA
    If your battery is rechargeable, replace it with a disposable battery.

Are you positive the pickups are passive?

Can you take a picture of your bass cavity to give us a visual of the wiring?

11. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    Thanx for the replay!
    The battery is not receargeble, is normal like duracell.. PickUPS are surely passives, my old configuration is vol/blend/tone..
    Now i've dismount preamp from the bass, i can send a picture of dismounted pre.. I remount asap the pre and post a photo of the cavity!

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  12. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    An update... I' ve try the preamp with my ibanez active pickups, it work well... I think this is strange, is it possibile that electronic is only compliant with active pickups?!?! .. Can I bypass this thing? I want use my passives Seymour!!!

13. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Did you have active pickups before? If you replaced active pickups with passive pickups, the preamp won't work without also changing to the correct pots or changing the whole preamp.

14. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    I took the preamp used, it had the MEC gold active, but I had read that it was OK for the passive enough not connect the 'exit' power supply 9v pickups on the board, maybe it is not so.. Then there is no way to bypass the problem with a resistance or something like that to close the elecric circuit? Do I have to use active pickups? I do not want this .. :(

15. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Easiest thing to do would be to just remove the entire preamp and just wire in passive pots, assuming you just want passive. If you want active, get a new preamp or put the MEC pickups back in.

16. bassistdigger

bassistdigger

Jun 25, 2013
    Thanx to all, the trick is: there is 2 series o MEC preamp, one is just for ACtive pkps, the other one is only for passives.
    Now I 've mount active MEC pickups and all is OK!!