1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help with wattage please!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by THENAMEISKENNY, Mar 27, 2015.

1. THENAMEISKENNY

THENAMEISKENNY

Dec 21, 2014
    I'm sure this question has been beaten to death. But I am looking for an amp head to get with my 810e. I know that the cab is rated for 800 watts at 4 ohms. When i run my b2re it just doesn't seem to push it like i know it can. I don't get it though. I have a friend who runs his Orange AD200B to it and its only 200 watts and my B2Re is pushing 450 into the cab but the AD200B is louder. Why is this? Do i not need 800 watts to get the cab to run how it should? This is coming from a cabinet and amp matching noob so please understand haha. i was thinking about getting the SVT 4 pro or the Terror Bass 1000 since that can provide more wattage that the cab needs. Anything helps, thanks!

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're going to get the "solid state watts vs. tube watts" argument going here. Tube amps can sound louder at comparable power ratings to solid state amps because you can push them harder without significant distortion. You don't need 800 watts to drive that cab. And don't let the "underpowering your amp" crowd lead you astray. You apparently do need more power to get your desired volume, though.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  3. @JimmyM I think that is one of the Ampegs that needs the "peak" light to be more of a signal present light? In other words light that sucker up just under distortion.
    That also may be one of the heads that has a more even master volume, meaning it doesn't produce it's max at 12:00 to 1:00 but more like 3 or 4:00.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    wave rider likes this.
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Been a while since I got a B2RE on a gig so I can't remember, unfortunately. But it sure doesn't hurt to see how far you can turn the gain up before you can actually hear it distorting. That amp needs a lot of gain to sound decent. Not my favorite amp ever but it should be lighting up your 810e pretty good.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    How you set the amp's gain and eq has a big influence on how much volume you'll get out of it. How are the knobs set now?

6. Start boosting (or not boosting!) the eq and gain knobs and see what you get - but aside from tube vs solid state, you're also dealing with frequencies. What frequencies are the heads favoring and what frequencies do the speakers produce more efficiently? Ie if one head "naturally" has a more mid scooped sound but the cabinet favors a more mid range tone, then another head with a flatter "natural" eq might sound louder.

Also note that manufacturer wattages seem to be "suggestive" at times, and the ratings may be for a certain frequency only, not the full range.

But yeah, tubes watts always sound louder than solid state watts - but I think its purely a "math trick". ;)