Need Help, Would this amp setup work?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by skit_skittson, Apr 9, 2002.

1. I want to get an Ampeg B-2R 350 watt@ 4 ohms head and run it with a QSC RMX 850 or 1450 power amp (and probably a rack tuner in there too) into an Ampeg BSE410HLF 4x10 400W RMS or 800W program. Would this workout? Would the power amp give me more overhead and would they all run together through that cab? These are the cheapest, best units I could find. Please help, I don't really understand the whole ohms/watts/power amps situation. Thanks.
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    of course it would, silly :D
  3. Well that all depends. Are you talking about slaving the power amp off of the Ampeg and driving the speakers with it? Then yes, it'll work. If you're talking about plugging the speaker outs of both amps into one cab, then no, it won't work.
  4. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    What you might want to consider instead is the following

Ampeg SVP Preamp -> QSCpower -> Ampeg HLF

The B2 is solid state, and it's preamp doesn't really have the tube warmth you might want. The Ampeg preamp is about the same price as the B2 and gives you 5 tubes worth of warmth and grit.

I would get a nice chunky power amp to drive that ampeg HLF. I prefer the QSC PLX series myself because they are lighter, but a little more expensive. QSC1602 (PLX) would deliver 1600W into the HLF which would provide some nice headroom (around $600).
  5. yeah, i'm going to run the b2r through the power amp, so i get some more headroom
  6. Don't do that. Use a preamp. They are designed to be run with poweramps. A "combo" head will destroy a poweramp that's looking for 1.5-3.0 volts.

Bad idea. Get a preamp. Get a SVP-pro.
  7. For the life of me, I can't understand why you want to power one amp with another one. You won't gain anything. The B2R is about $550. For $599 you can get an Alembic or Demeter tube preamp brand new. Run one of those with a QSC RMX850 and you will absolutely kill. The QSC1602 is waaaay over kill for the Ampeg HLF 4x10 cab.
  8. Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    You might look at the DCM1000 for a power amp if you are trying to save money.