Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help: WT400 cutting out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Walbodiddy, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Hi, All.

As some of you may recall, I recently went on a long-term amp shopping trip which ended in my purchase of a new Eden WT-400. While I absolutely love the amp and its tone, I have two problems with it:

1. It's disgustingly ugly. But this isn't why I wrote the message; it can look like a smashed cockrach as long as it puts out the the growly, fat sound I love it so much for.

2. It only puts out the growly, fat sound about half of the time. I've owned this amp for about a week and have used it about 4 times, each use lasting 2-3 hours. It powers a single Goliath III 8-ohm cab. I stayed at pretty low volumes while I had it at home for a few days and had no trouble. Thursday, I set it up with the group and played for 2 hours at a good volume (gain at 3/4, master around 1/2, between 1/2 and 3/4 on the bass itself) with no trouble.

I went to play it Friday (same situation) and all was fine for about 10 minutes. Then the volume cut to about 1/4 and a very annoying crackling started to accompany each note played both through the amp and the DI out. I fiddled with things, ground lift, DI level, and began to play again. It worked, for about 5 minutes. Same thing. This intermittent functioning followed by 1/4 volume crackling repeated for the entirety of the 2 hour period I spent trying to get it to work properly.

I have noticed that the fan never comes on, however the manual says that this is normal when powering an 8-ohm load. Still, I thought it may be overheating but the manual also says that when the thermal protection circuit kicks in, the DI will still function properly and it's obviously not. Aside from this, I know that the electrical system in the building is very poorly wired and may not be providing full constant current. Aside from this, I have no idea what could be causing it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I apologize for the long post but I really want to get this thing working right. I've spent almost a month's time and over a month's pay on assembling this setup and it's inexplicably frustrating to have this stuff happening.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    If this is a new amp I suggest letting Eden take care of the problem under warranty, that is of course after you are sure it is not a speaker or cable problem.

3. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    I had a WT800 and it did the same thing when I ran it stereo with 8ohms on one side. Eden replaced it twice and it still had the same problem. The problem was with the board and some of the components moving around. You need to take it back and have them fix it. Also, find out how long the dealer had it out and what year it was built. Good luck....

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My ass! I ran a WT-300 at 8 ohms for about 6 months, and that fan was the band mascot.

Sounds fishy to me.

5. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Well, if that's how you want to put it here's the whole story. They didn't even wire the fan to the circuit board on my first WT800. And after they replaced it they had the fan wired backwards. The heat sensor would trigger the protection circuit and the amp would cut out for 5 minutes. My local tech found the problems and when he got on the phone with Eden they asked him for the fix because they where having the same problems with other WT800.

There are 2 other local guys that ran into the same thing with the same amp. They introduced me to the tech that finally fixed my amp. Maybe the smaller amps don't have the same problems.

I guess that's all your ass is worth....

6. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I'd try a new tube. A tube can give you the exact symptoms you describe. I'd also try connecting a patch cable between the effects send and return. The switch built in to the return jack can also cause this problem.

Good luck!

Chuck

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I meant that it sounded fishy that the maual says the fan shouldn't come on when running an 8 ohm load. Not about your problem with the fans.

8. hmjuice

hmjuice

May 20, 2000
    Austin, TX USA
    Sorry Brendan :cool:. The post just brought back some of the frustration with Eden. They did get it right in the end and that amp worked great after my guy took care of everything. That company grew so fast that they couldn't keep the "QC" in line.

They do have an unmistakable tone that is only Eden.

9. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Thats Eden's manual for ya, looks like a 6th grader put it together... now we have to wonder if the information given was from a 6th grader too.

My 800 only crapped out on me once but thats because the output limit lights were like strobes and it went into thermo protection mode.

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This probably doesn't have anything to do with your problem, but it'd be better for your amp if you ran the master at full and use the gain to adjust your volume. The way you're doing it, you're sacrificing headroom like a fiend.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Really? I would think that running the Master at full would lead to clipping faster, putting all the power on the table like that...

Well, then again, I pushed my WT-300 like a simile, so I might be in a bad place to make calls...

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So you're saying you don't want all 400 watts "on the table"? For any given volume, you're going to be using the same power out. If your power amp isn't ready to produce all 400 watts, you're going to start clipping at a lower pre-amp level, once you drive the power amp past its capacity at some reduced setting.

13. To whoever it was that suggested looping the effects send back the effects return, thank you! I'm still a little annoyed at paying this much for an amp and needing to rig it like this but it's worked so far, and the alternative is shipping it to Eden and being out of an amp for however long they keep it.

Thanks again!