Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kevin Cheek, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Need advice...
    What do I go with...
    A. GK Backline 350 with a Backline 410 Cabinet
    B. SWR workingman 210
    C. Ampeg B2R with BSE410 cabinet
    All are close in price so tell me why you would choose one over the other.

2. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Backline stuff is crap. If you read some Harmony Central reviews of it, you will see that it is highly unreliable, as they don't have fans and are prone to melting.

The B2R is a pretty good head but the cab is crap. I have a friend who's saving up for a Mesa 410 because he hates the sound of the BSE410 (nicknamed the bull-sh-t extractor). :p Maybe an Avatar cab unless you can't live without seeing Ampeg on your cab? B2R with the Avatar would rock. :bassist:

The SWR Workingmans 210C would be your best bet out of that list, if you like the Hi-fi tone. If you want a more classic tone, go with the Ampeg B2R and an Avatar cab.

3. My son is 14 and is a great player... He is playing at church and in a small Christian Rock Band. They play Music similar to Creed, Third Day, and Skillet. He and his band are just starting out but they seem to have the talent and the contacts that they could do some cool things. I want to get him a good stack rig that is not to low a level that he becomes discouraged. I made that mistake with the first amp we bought. (Behringer 60) At the same time I do not want to but a proseries amp that he does not need. They practice one to two times a week as a group and he is playing all the time in his room. They just had their first "Concert" at the local church as part of a Youth rally. I have seem to discovered that he is not going to want anything but some sort of stack rig... something aobut image? Anyway the GK backline rig is $800 bucks new....
    The ampeg is $1076....The wife is reluctant to spend $1000....but I am still trying to decide. What are your thoughts? Is a GK really not good enough for his use?

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Buy used. GKs in general are good, but their Backline series is low quality. Avatar cabs are inexpensive and have a very good reputation. If I was on a budget and needed a stack, I'd get a used Peavey, Sunn, Traynor, or Acoustic head off of ebay and whatever Avatar cabs fit his need for "image." You could also look into used cabs, but big ones are expensive to ship so you'd want to look in local stores, not ebay.

5. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Something like a used Peavey Firebass head and a new Avatar B212 w/Delta drivers (4ohm) ($361) should work quite well.

If you need to later you could add an Avatar B210 (also 4 ohm) ($258). The Peavey will drive 2ohm loads quite well.

6. tim4003

tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    Nothing will project an "image" better than Ampeg badges on your rig!

;)

7. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If he sounds good enough, the image issue will evaporate into the ether from whence it came.

8. I appreciate any and all the help I can get.