Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP~!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tym2cu_bass, Feb 24, 2004.

1. hey all, i dont have any pedals or effect pads or anything * :crying: crys :bawl: * but i was wondering wat should be the first 2 i should get, btw, i play rock

ty :p

2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Multi-FX
    Compression

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anything *BUT* Multi-FX...it'll give you an idea of what you want, but it won't do much more.

I would recommend overdrive and a compressor, or flanger.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Get a distortion box. That is a "cool" sound to play around with. Very noticeable change in your tone.

-Mike

5. 1. overdrive (or distortion)

2. perhaps compression, but imho you don't always need that (I found out that I don't need it; I just try to play tight ;) ).

3. In my opinion the rest, of the thousand effects that are available, are quite useless for a bassist in a rockband. I don't see me using a flanger/phaser/tremolo/reverb/delay using anytime soon in the rockband I play. An octaver might be cool sometimes or perhaps a little added chorus. But that's about it. Again this is my opinion.

TIP: try something like a Bass POD in a shop and play with the effects... you might find some effects in it you like and then you know what pedal you could get.

6. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    1. Eq pedal, very useful, you just step on it to change your tone instantly!

2. Overdrive/Distortion, also very good for rock band. You might want to look at something with a 'blend' knob to blend the clean and overdriven signal.

7. brock29609

brock29609 4 strings, 2 wheels

May 11, 2003
    Greenville, SC
    For me, it's overdrive and wah. Do what I did. If there aren't a lot of bass effects in your local stores, buy up everything in sight out of the gear for sale forum and ebay. Keep what you like. Sell what you don't. It will be a minor inconvience posting ads and running to the post office to get rid of the unwanted stuff, but you'll end up with what suits you.