Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tiemyshoe, Feb 26, 2001.

1. Tiemyshoe

Tiemyshoe

Feb 5, 2001
    im a beginner n i wanna start out wit a cheap bass. for $200 should i get a squier p-bass, Jay turser jt440 (stingray copy), ibanez gsr200 or yamaha RBX270?

2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I think you should buy a Used bass, you will get a better instrument for the same money, but I think $200 its pretty low.
    Look at www.ebay.com

3. halfnote

halfnote

Feb 1, 2001
    Play all of them and get the one you dig the most. I would suggest that you play a MIM Fender jazz or precision as well. I think that you might like one of those the best, and they are only about $100 more new. (I am sure you could pick one up for $200 used.) They are good right out of the box, and you can upgrade them later if you like. Someone on this forum (I can't remember who) also recommends a Dean bass in this pricerange....might want to do a search..

-halfnote

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

At $200, used is definitely the way to go. BUT, if you don't like the idea of playing someone else's "reject" -

Can you try them all out before buying? All basses, even of the same model, aren't necessarily created equal, ESPECIALLY, lower end, assembly line, basses like those you mentioned.

If not, go with the one that has the best return policy.

If all else fails, I'd vote Turser.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Boy just think of all the power that we have here at Talk Bass... we can tell people what kind of equipment to buy! Muahahahaha!

Best bet is to trot down to your local music store and listen to it yourself. Whats cool to us, my stink to you. Any of those basses might suit your sound quite well. Maybe a better question to ask would be of the afore mentioned basses, which provides the widest variety of tone? That would be slightly less opinion oriented. I don't know much about those paticular models myself.

I like my Rogue bass. It's tone does not vary that much, but by luck I guess I like it's sound. Half the dudes here might lynch me for that. :)

6. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Somebody get me a rope :D !!!

-robert

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    *ducks down an alley*

*comes back with a groucho marx glasses/mustache disguise*