1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lucas Gonzalez, Jul 31, 2020 at 10:03 PM.

1. Hello I'm Lucas. I have been playing bass for a while now, I have a $200 squire P bass with a extra J pickup, It sounds kinda bad but not terrible so, I'm looking to upgrade to another bass Under $1,000. I have preference for Fender, Squire, Gibson, and Epiphone. I don't have a soled preference but I like the sound of a J bass

Please give me suggestions

2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Virginia Beach
    4 or 5 string?

3. Funk With Me

Funk With Me

Tuesday
    Fender has some good Jazz Basses in your price range. Check them out.

red_rhino and Aqualung60 like this.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I’d be curious to know what sounds “kinda bad” about your Squier. It might help us point you in a better direction...especially now when it’s a bit more difficult to go try a bunch of basses.

RSBBass and Element Zero like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    ^^^Totally that. What do you dislike about it? Do you like the way it feels?

lowphatbass likes this.
  6. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    If you like Fender, you'll love this.
    Maybe the most versatile single-pickup bass made.
    G&L Kiloton Tribute...$600.
    You won't find anything better for the price.
    wjbzmkfy2gfrxc9eboui.jpg
    Good demo right here.

TheReceder likes this.
  7. 4 String

8. A lot of pros play a Squier P bass.
    If your Squier feels right, but you don’t like the sound - maybe you can just upgrade a pickup.
    If you play through an amp, maybe it is that, rather than the bass. There are many variables.
    Give an example of what you don’t like about it.

Kipp Harrington likes this.
  9. Ok, First off thanks for all the responses. Secondly The tone sounds off I feel like a straight P or J bass would give me the tone and over all sound I'm looking for.

10. If you can’t go out and try a few in a store, due to social distancing guidelines, maybe you should wait until you can try them in person.
    Instead, try watching comparisons, and reviews, on YouTube. Also, watch some reviews of replacement pickups for P-basses. That may give you a better idea of what is available, and how they sound.

MynameisMe likes this.
  11. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Upgrade PUPs and shop strings. You will end up doing this anyway...why spend more money on a new bass? Keep the Squire.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020 at 4:44 AM
    Ggaa and TheReceder like this.
  12. Haans

Haans Altruistic nihilist Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Bergen, Norway
    New pickup, new strings. No, first of all - new strings and a setup, including tweaking the pickup height.

See if you can borrow a few others models to compare it with to get a better sense of what you're after. Most likely, if you start with buying a new bass, you will keep buying new basses until you realise you should have gotten a better amp in the first place.

TheReceder likes this.
  13. MF-Winzlow

MF-Winzlow

Mar 1, 2019
    Cntrl FL
    Upgrade PUPs and shop strings. My $300 Squire is as good as every $1000+ Fender I have ever owned. YMMV.

14. Epiphone and Gibson don't give you much choice. Fender give you a wealth of choices.

There MIM standard series, Vintera, Deluxe Active Precision P/J, Artist series and you may be able to find a deal on American Performer P/J.
    Don't let the 'Squire Boy's' bully you with their claims and opinions they insinuate as fact;:)

Try some of these others and if you find a different Squire than what you now have that feels, sounds and build quality you expect as opposed to above mentioned save some money

15. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    I like my Squier. I may have just gotten lucky but I bought it from a friend for $100. He found it in a pawn shop and put new strings, strap locks, a new pick guard on it, and did some rewiring, did a whole setup.

I have no idea what it was new but it is surprisingly a very nice, great sounding instrument. The pickups are hot and it has an overall nice tone.
    I have a $2000 Precision and I honestly like playing the Squier as much.

My point is your Squier my just need a little TLC to make it a good gigging instrument.

I will say you will probably want a Fender Precision, it will play more like what you are used to...however since you aren't loving that one, you may want to shift gears and try other brands.

DiscoRiceJ likes this.
  16. alanloomis1980

alanloomis1980 Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    #1 most important thing is to go out there and try Basses. You have a frame of reference and you can decide for yourself which differences you do/don’t notice. For me, I don’t necessarily notice the pickups as I climb the price ladder, but I notice the necks.

What amp are you using? IME an amp upgrade can be a bigger payoff than a bass upgrade

17. zie

zie

Sep 12, 2014
    Washington, DC
    IMOHO, Buy a used Fender P and J bass.

lowdownthump likes this.
  18. spantini

spantini

Jun 13, 2020
    Lakeland, FL USA
    Can you put up some pics of your Squier?

Lucas Gonzalez likes this.
  19. Copperhead

Copperhead Still creakin' around. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    What kind of amplifier are you using ? A cheap practice amp can make a great bass sound like garbage.

alanloomis1980 likes this.
  20. FishDub

FishDub Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    If you like the Fender Jazz, buy one used from GC if possible, as there are several under $1000. If you dont like it then return it and move on to the next..