Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by grungtertl, Mar 27, 2005.

1. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    I have two bergantino cabs... I know you are supposed to overpower your cabs so i need around 1000 watts... Should i go all tube, SS, hybrid, or Pre and power amp?

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What kind of tone do you want? What kinda music do you play?

3. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    I play in a jamband, like progressive rock, but a little harder. I like a low thumpy bass tone, warm, but not real growly or distorted, just real low toned, and punchy.

4. If you run a tube head don't worry about underpowering. For SS amps the ratio goes anywhere from 1:1 (amp rms to cab rms) to 2:1, depending on who you talk to.

5. You aren't supposed to per say, whatever ammount of wattage you NEED to be comfortable and have headroom and your nice tone is what you should get, whether that be 400 watts or 2000 watts. If you WANT around 1000 watts, you could go with a preamp for the tone you are looking for and then get a 1000 watt power amp. Other options are the Genz Benz GBE 1200 www.genzbenz.com And the Eden WT1200 www.eden-electronics.com those would be two of probaly the nicest heads I can think of that are up into really high wattage with really nice tone. You could also get something like a Mesa 400+ tube amp, which would be about the same level of volume. Lots of possibilities, but the main factor is what YOU like the tone of.What kind of music you play, what bass you use, what size venues you play at. What kind of cabinets do you have(410?) etc. There are lots of variables, you should test out any of the heads that you think appeal to you.

6. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    I play a G&L tribute L-2000 with a custom preamp on it... the cabs are 1x15 and a 2X10, i play clubs and bars and halls usually...

7. Those 3 I meantioned might be some to consider then. I sure wouldn't mind any of those rigs.

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'm going to recommend an all tube head. (or Augilar/Demeter tube power amp, but those are damn expensive) Check out the SVT-CL, the Mesa 400+, the Fender Bassman 300, the Eden VT-300, or look for used SVTs, Mesa 400, possibly a Trace though you may not like the tone, or Sunn 300. Those are just as loud as any 1200 watt solid state rack or head, but sound awesome! I have a Trace V4 and it suits my needs, but for progressive I think the best tube heads are the SVT and the Mesa.

9. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    All tube amps are very expensive and expensive to keep around, that is my only problem...

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    On most tube amps, once you get a good set of quality tubes in, they will last for years depending on how hard you play em. The amps themselves are, however, expensive to buy. And heavy to lug around. If tubes are your sound, the cost and weight are worth it.

11. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    Is the peavey classic 400 a good all tube head?

12. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    They are a great value and I would use one of these over a hybrid or solid state head, but it generally does not compare to the tone of other tube heads.

13. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    What is a good used price for one?

14. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I'd say $600, $650 shipped, depending on how new the tubes are and what condition it is in. If you're looking at the 400 watts, keep in mind it sounds about the same as a 300 watt tube head from my experience, but that also depends on the cabs.

15. grungtertl

grungtertl

Aug 2, 2004
    there are 3 all tube heads used at the bass store by me, an eden, the peavey, and a mesa 400+? the other ones are over a grand thougha nd the peavey is 650ish...

16. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    The Eden is, I believe, the most expensive tube head on the market today, or the SVT-II pro, I don't remember. The Eden is nice and light weight, but doesn't have as good of a tone as most other tube amps that I've played. I had a 400+ and, while it was not my sound, it was a great head. If you have the cash, try out the Mesa 400+ and the Eden. If you don't wana spend so much but still love tube tone, the Peavey is a great second choice.
    Edit: The Eden has an overdrive channel that you might like for progressive rock...