Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by karrot-x, May 2, 2005.

1. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    So I just sold my Ibanez SR886 for $360 on the bay. I want to get a 4-string Essex SJB-62MG

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjb62mglpb.html

My goal is to make it look and sound similar to this:

http://www.lakland.com/images/jones_1.jpg

First, I'm guessing I'll want to get a Bad Ass II, then pickups. Should I go with Bartolini, bassline, nordstrand? Finally, should I make it active or keep it passive? Do you think an active Aguilar OBP-3 could fit in there without drilling?

2. If you want to make it look and sound similar to the Skyline DJ, I'd think that you'd want to use Aero pickups (like the DJ does) and a fairly lightweight bridge that strings through the body (Hipshot?) like the DJ does.

By default, the DJ is passive. The primary "active" option is to add a J-Retro preamp.

Mike

3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks for the info, does anyone have any info on the Aero pickups, I've never heard one and wondered if you guys have first hand accounts with them? Does anyone here own a DJ4?

4. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Thanks once again :).

EDIT: It appears your link doesn't work hmmm..

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The best I can tell you is that most people feel the Aero pickups have a slightly more "modern" sound (think Marcus Miller), while the Fralins have the more classic 60s Jazz bass sound. As with pickups, choice of a preamp will affect the tone greatly.

Personally, I went for the DJ5 w/Aeros, and a J-retro preamp. Still waitin' anxiously for it, tho. :(

By the way, there's another SX available that has an Ash body and block inlays (like a DJ) and a more retro '70s Jazz bass look, but it's $40 more expensive, too:
    SX 70s Jazz bass
    The other bass has an alder body (probably doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but if you want to go "all the way," it might be important to you.) :D