Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bob04, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    hey,
    i'm rob, and i live near birmingham in the UK. I recently formed a band with some mates, but since we have started gigging, i have had to borrow amps as my 20watt microbass doesn't cut it. As i'm only 16, i do not have the biggest budget but i was hoping for some assistance in buying a new (or second hand) amp. I would consider head and cab or combo.
    thanks, rob

2. thedoctor

thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    It is hard to recommend a good combo bass amp for folk in the UK because of the shipping issue. The best cheap gig amps I can think of will probly not be in the UK's supplier list. Go to the local metal-head music store and ask for an amp they would consider "marginal" and cheap. It seems that every time I recommend an amp to someone from the UK, they respond with the shipping-cost issue. That pretty much means you have to sort it out for yourself.

3. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey Rob,

Check out Ashdown, they've got some good gear out there on a budget. The Mag 300 is a pretty good head, i use the combo version with a 4x10 speaker combo at band practise and it comes with plenty of head room as far as i'm concerned. The cabs aren't too bad either.

At the minute for my setup i use a Marshall B150, if you can check them out, a bit of a tank but i find it works bril for what my band does.

Cheers and beers

Andy

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    A second hand Trace Elliot will fill your needs I think. Must be quite easy to get in the UK?

5. +1. Maybe you could put out a list of what's available to you there, in your price range and we could give suggestions as to which ones of those have merit. Have you researched any, or tried any out, yet?

6. bob04

bob04

Aug 5, 2005
    Stourbridge, U.K.
    ok, i can get my hands on hartke, some marshall gear(must be second hand though), behringer, ashdown, trace elliot and peavey.
    So far, this is all that i have seen that i could afford.
    I have tried out the ashdown mag 300 head and 210t cab, the head was nice but did not like the cab. I have also tried out a behringer rig, 300watt head and 210cab, and a peavey 160 watt head and 210 cab. I am planning a trip down to the city centre with some mates to test out some more in the upcoming weeks.

7. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    The best way to find what you like is testing it, get into the shops early and play as many as you can. Then think about it for a couple of days and the go and buy the one you reckon is the best.

If you want some more ideas PM or email me.

Cheers and Beers

Andy

8. +1 Yup! Try it before you buy it. You're on the right track. Use your own bass, too. Good luck!