Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey everyone,
    I'm going to be getting an upright bass soon, and for my university audition, I need 3 classical pieces.

Does anyone know any classical upright bass composers, and any songs would be great as well.

I do have experiences on an upright, just so people know.

Thanks again,

Mark Wilson

2. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    When is your audition?

3. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    It's not for a while. I'm apply for September 2006. but i want to get started A.S.A.P.

I've called my EB teacher, he's a classical guitarist as well, and i know I can learn the violncello(spelling) Suite. (the one like, tons of bass players know) and I just found some bach suites downstairs.

4. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    By viewing at your profile, it looks like you already played the upright, is that correct? The first and foremost thing that you should do is find a Double Bass teacher and start taking lessons A.S.A.P. He/or She can recommend what pieces that you should undertake at the appropriate time.
    I began playing bass in middle school and high school, well before I'd ever had my first formal lesson when I was a Junior in high school, that was a big mistake. I was able to compensate for it over the years, but it took a lot of catching up. Do yourself a favor and try to avoid this.

Ric Vice :)

5. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I'm looking into getting lessons from the double bass professor at the univeristy i'm applying to.

I do have background with flute. I've been playing 11 years. and upright, my school has an electric upright, and i've briefly used a bow on a different upright.

Thanks for your help. If anyone knows any Double Bass teachers in the Niagara Region, that'd be great!

Thanks,

Mark Wilson

6. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Contact the Buffalo Philharmonic and ask to get in touch with members of their bass section. I'm sure that most of them teach.

7. Mark Wilson

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    I would, but i'm on the Canadian side :D

8. jallenbass

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    I guess crossing the border has gotten pretty rough.