Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by georgecarter, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Hey,
    I am getting tired of playing with a pick and my fingers. I need someone to explain to me how to slap, pop and tap. I would love to do all of these techniques to improve my bass playing.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi George.

Spend some time looking through threads in this forum. I believe that you should find some good advice to get you started on those techniques.

I must ask though, you're tired of playing with a pick and/or your fingers?!? :confused:

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I can dig it. Sometimes I get tired of walking with my feet.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Seeing as how you're from Kentucky, I'm sure you're still getting used to the whole bipedal thing, so I can understand your frustration. Keep with it though Ace, nothing worth doing is easy!

5. What I meant is that I am tired of using only two simple techniques to play. I want to spice up my bass lines.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was gonna tell him "I know it's kentucky and all, but maybe you should try wearing shoes for a change, then ya wouldnt be tired of walkin on your feet" ;)

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Yeah, well since you're from San Francisco, I'm sure that.....um....(what were those new forum rules again?) ....uh.....

Oh, never mind. :rolleyes:

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    :rolleyes: indeed

George Carter slap and tap gets old real soon. Try concentrating on the following assuming you arent a leftie

Right hand-play at different point ie at the bridge and near the fretboard. This will change the sound you make. Try varying how hard you play. Instead of riding the volume for soft passages try playing softer. Try this play loud, now play soft but dont slow down. Another thing to do is incoroporate your third finger and play some triplets. That should be enough for starters

Left hand-vibrato, wobble the string up and down or side to side (watch a violinist for the later) slide notes from one t'other. Double stops. Play the open E and A strings and add some high notes as well. Dont do it al the time. Harmonics-place your finger at the 12th fret but dont fret the note, play the string and take your hand off. Now work out the other points and the note value.

IMHO the joy of discovery is the joy of errrm discovery. Discover away

9. los3r

los3r Guest

Jan 1, 2002
    USA, Kentucky
    Why do people categorize kentucky as all idiots. were probably smarter than you people. San Francisco is like a big city of HOmosexuals.

10. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's a private joke between DURRL, myself, and several others. Note how we just kind of giggled to each other like 6th grade school girls. Oh never mind.

No, I live in SF, and you're almost correct. It's a rather small city, (Disneyland is bigger by straight acre-age, is that a word), but we have a large homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, and whatever else crowd. I couldn't be happier either. I think it's one of those things that makes the city so unique and so great. The Castro is a wonderful and celebrated section of the city. I'm so proud of the city's acceptance of alternative lifestyles, (I still don't like that term). I love the parades. I love the diversity. I love it all.

So thank you LOSER, for complimenting the city I live in. Thank you for your recognition of our open-mindedness, our diversity, our acceptance. Thank you for helping celebrate a truly unique city.

(Unfortunately, you're also helping perpetuate a largely false image of Kentucky by your post. Yeah, I caught that. Do you see the irony?!)

11. "can't we all just get along"

12. No.

13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    How long have you been playing?

WHy not go out and get videos of players demonstrating the style you want to learn. Better yet, look for a local teacher. Nothing like hands on. Next vacation, why don't you go away for a clinic?

Meanwhile, get a video at your local music store.

good luck.

14. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

ADAMELLA,

What do you mean, "like"? :confused:

- Christine

15. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    man, this gig has it all.

16. nikofthehill

nikofthehill

Jul 30, 2001
    san jose, CA
    yep...very clearly. but maybe its cuz i'm also from CA:D
    -nik
    (oops...was that a rhetorical question? my bad)

17. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You're just learning this? :confused: