Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP !!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Nuno A., Feb 11, 2002.

1. Nuno A.

Nuno A. Velvet Strings Customer Service

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello there.
    I already made this question on the bass guitar forum but i'm looking for all information available please....
    I just bought an ampeg b100 r amp....
    It was cheap and i like the tone on it, fat and good low end.....now comes the problem....when i was cheking out the back of the amp, inside i found 2 cardboard cilinders.......since they were loose inside, not stucked in any way, i took them out.....
    well. somehow i got the feeling that they belong inside, so i made this question on the bass guitar forum since its a bass amp....they told me that these 2 cilinders are important and they should be put back in......
    my question is.....
    is there any special position???
    i dont think so since they were loose inside the amp and they would bounce with any moviment carrying the amp or so...
    other thing....when took them out, they got a little scratched.....does it gonna damage the sound???
    any sugestions welcome
    thanks in advance.....

N.A.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    I don't know that amp, but it is likely that they were ports. Look inside and see if there are two holes in the speaker board (wood on which the speaker is mounted) or in the back of the amp that are the same sizes as the tubes. If so, they were stuck (probably glued) in those holes. Ports (or holes) in cabinets are part of the speaker cabinet tuning, based on the requirements of speaker used. Sometimes they are slots, sometimes also with wood surrounding them, sometimes round holes, and sometimes with cylinders like the two you found. I'd glue them back into position if my supposition proves accurate.

3. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello Bob and thanks a lot .....
    In fact in the back of the amp there are 2 holes almost the same size of the cilinders, the problem is that i dont know how they were glued or stucked, since that when i found these 2 cilinders they were inside the amp loose.another problem is that where i live theres no ampeg dealer or something, i bought my amp on line in Italy, something like 5 hours from here.....
    well, i guess i'll have to try to find an owner of one of this amps and ask for some explanation, or drive 5 hours....
    all the best and thanks one more time

N.A.

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    If the tubes match the holes, then you just put the tubes in the holes. Look at the ends of the tubes. One end should be cleaner or slightly a different outside diameter (if the fit was originally tight), or have some other indication which end was shoved into the hole and how far.

5. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    Hello Ray....
    the 2 cardboard cilinders are slightly bigger than the holes, and both ends are exactly the same diameter...
    to put them in the holes you have to make a certain pressure,i already put them inside the amp, like i found them,but they are loose and move if i pick up an move the amp of course....
    thats the problem, they were literaly inside the amp....
    i thought about put them in the holes so they would be stucked, but due to the fact that this 2 cilinders are bigger, they 'll get damage and crushed a bit...
    but seems more logical to me than having 2 pieces of cardboard inside the amp moving...
    lets see if somebody will come with more information...
    thanks a lot

N.A:

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There may have been another piece(s) that matched the inside diameter of the tube/hole.

I went to the Ampeg web site and found the following infor for tech-support contact.

Ampeg
    St. Louis Music, Inc.
    1400 Ferguson Ave.
    St. Louis, MO 63133
    Email: twilson@stlouismusic.com

7. I was checking out this amp the other day, and the two ports on the back are black plastic. The crardboard could just be to prootect the tubes, but I'm not sure, I didnt look at the cabinet structure that much. What I would do, is play the amp, without the cardboard in it. If it sounds good, leave em out. If it doesn't, I dont know. The idea of two loose cardboard tubes blowin around in the cabinet doesnt sound like it would help anything.

8. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    At the beginning i thought to that these 2 cardboards were the protection of the ports.
    however just an hour ago i took one of the ports out and i found out that these cardboards perfectly fit the end of the ports and stay stucked....
    so i just put them back like this and tomorrow i'll try the amp(if i'll do it now i'll guess i'll have bigger problems with the neighbours than with these 2 cardboards)
    however i emailed ampeg customer support(thanks Ray) and i'll wait for an answer....
    thank you all for your help.....

N.A.

9. I checked out that amp at the guitar store today. The tubes are indeed the ports.

10. Nuno A.

Jul 9, 2001
    SWITZERLAND
    1st of all thanks to everybody....
    About the amp. the Ampeg tech- support people were really nice emailing me several times explaining me what to do....
    I just had to unscrew the ports and then put the 2 tubes at the end of the ports and screw everything back...
    By the way i really like this amp for DB, of course that the sound that o go for is the old time thumpy bass sound.....with may Kay, all gut strings and the K&K pre amp....welcome fat tone.....
    And i connect the golden trinity into the P.A. to give me more wood...
    if there are many fans of this old thumpy bass sound...
    give it a try.
    all the best

N.A.