1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help (:

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lenyhoff, Feb 21, 2008.

1. lenyhoff

lenyhoff

Feb 21, 2008
    Hi, I'm playing the bass for a few months now. Only problem is that my crappy guitar keeps holding me back and it's getting hard for me to play more complex stuff.
    I've been to several stores and found a good guitar for my level that doesn't cost much- IBANEZ GSR-200. My teacher approved, but I want to be sure of this.
    Can anyone help? :)

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Sure, the GSR you mention is ok for the $, I've also have noticed that quite a few TB'ers are pretty fond of SX's , also squire's. I would imagine that they are about close in price.

Heres a few in the same price range as the GSR: (If you go a little higher= Fender MIM)
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/navigation/4-string-electric-bass-guitars?N=100001+306313+8

Rondo music's site (SX)
    http://www.rondomusic.com/bassguitars4.html

which also includes a bass similar to the gsr (a little less than the gsr):

sb301mwh1.

3. ROON

ROON

Aug 5, 2006
    Sydney, Australia
    You've been playing for "a few months". The thing that is holding you back from playing complex stuff is almost certainly your technique and skill, not the guitar. No offence.

4. And ...zing!

But, unless your current axe has the highest action known to man or a warped neck, he's probably right.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I think regardless, he's in the market for something new.
    Although I have not seen "said" crappy guitar.
    Personally I think he's getting his first taste of GAS :p maybe an excuse to change his scenery.

6. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    What bass do you now own, that a GSR is such a vast improvement? Is your bass even properly setup? Do you know how to setup a bass? Do you even know what to look for or how to articulate the problem with your current bass?

Does your "Teacher" even know anything about setting up an instrument? Before you start spending a couple of hundred dollars, lets get some better info.

There is probably nothing wrong with your current bass that some knowledge could not correct.

As far as thinking a few months of playing and your bass is holding you back, well, the road is long and winding. The more I learn, the more I know I don't know jack.

7. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Let's see that bass. Got pics?

8. CraigG

CraigG

Mar 14, 2006
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Whatever you do, whether keeping your crappy guitar or upgrading, a $35 pro setup is a very worthy investment and money well spent. You may find that your crappy guitar with a pro setup is acceptable till you can save enough $ to buy a nice bass.

9. lenyhoff

lenyhoff

Feb 21, 2008
    for the comments, I think I didn't explain myself properly.
    I have a long way ahead of me, and I know my technique is holding me back right now. But I can't keep playing the LEGEND, it's really no good.
    I have a great teacher who knows a lot about this kind of things. He helped me look for a guitar, so I'm not out there looking for a guitar alone.
    I simply wanted your opinion about the IBANEZ GSR-200, though I appriciate your help.
    I'm a female by the way

10. glwanabe

glwanabe Guest

Apr 21, 2002
    So what did your teacher say is the problem with this bass of yours?

The GSR is an entry level instrument. Your just as likely to get a dog as a decent bass. Does your teacher happen to teach or have an affiliation with the store where this bass is at?

I've seen quite a few no name basses that were quite playable when properly setup. If your just wanting to spend some money on a new bass well go ahead.

In this situation I would contact Rondo and spend my money with them. I have done buisness with Kurt at Ronda and he is a stand up buisnessman.

11. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Really? Then why does your profile say "Male"? :eyebrow:

Regardless, what difference would that make to your question?

I agree on getting your current bass set up properly before you spend more money only to find out that the instrument is not the problem.

12. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    The Gsr is not much of an upgrade, this is why you're receiving such negative responses. What these people are saying is that you'd be throwing money at a new instrument that would very likely not be an improvement over the old one, and I tend to agree with them. A setup is cheaper and would very likely make your bass play much better than you would have thought it could originally.

If you absolutely feel it's time for a new instrument, go ahead and give us a price range and you'll get pages of suggestions that will more than likely be much better deals than the GSR.

Just keep in mind, we all genuinely want to help. You are a fellow bassist, after all. :D