1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mondo, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Mondo

Mondo Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    St. Augustine Beach
    I have a MIM Fender Jazz bass that I am making better. I am replacing the bridge and the pick ups. I already have the bridge and I am now stuck on what pick ups to use?? The sound and tone I am going for is from Jazz to Heavy. The tone I love is right between Jaco Pastorius and Victor Bailey. I am looking at Bartolini's, Basslines, EMG, Dimarzio, and Fender custom shop 60's Jazz bass. Also I want to put them in myself. So which pick-up whould give me the best all around tone and easy to install?? I am also getting the J-Retro preamp.

Mondo
    mondo@bassplayer.cc

2. The J-Retro will do wonders for your tone, but it won't eliminate hum or improve crappy pickups. The MIM J are single coils and will give you both the hum as well as the single coil tone. A good shielding job will go a long way to reducing hum.

If you have a 2001 or newer MIM bass, you have the standard-sized bridge pickup. If older, your pickup is narrower, and you will have to rout the body to make a standard pickup fit.

I bought a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups for my 2001 MIM J fretless. I also have a J-Retro in hand, but none are yet installed due to other projects consuming all my time. The DM Model J are not as bright as the DM Ultra Jazz. Both DM models are hum cancelling in solo mode. DM uses bi-lateral coils (side by side) instead of a pair of coils or a stack. The Model J won the BP Magazine tone award, FWIW.

The DM are 4-wire so you can wire them to a DPDT switch and run them either Series or Parallel mode. This wiring trick results in a substantial difference in tone, but has no effect on hum. My Fender RB5 uses this technique and it is very effective.