Need Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilveRKidd19, Jul 28, 2002.

1. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    I am getting a new bass soon around the holidays and I am looking for a bass around the 400-500 dollars mark so if you guys can help me out on what bass to buy that would be great I am looking at a Fender Standerd P-Bass Thanks for your help

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My turn, I guess...

The overridiing question is: What do you want to sound like? Bottom-y? Mid-range peak? Bright and glassy? If you don't know, perhaps you can give us a particular recording or bassist which/who you like the sound of and you would like to sound like. Then we can help you get close. There are things that a P-bass can do that nothing else really can, but there are other things that P-basses don't do all that well. String choice and amp/speaker arrangement also affects sound. What styles do you plan to play? If you plan to play a lot of different styles, or you really can't decide, perhaps a bass with a P/J pickup configuration would offer maximum flexibility. Fender makes those too, and so does almost everybody else.

3. TalkBass Sponsor

4. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    Um... Well I am probably going to be playing Pop/Punk so I think anything by Mark Hoppus (Blink 182) I would like my bass to sound like his. I know he uses a custom fender bass with different everything thank you for your time :)

5. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Mark's signature bass just came out and it's in your price range...I'd check it out. I'll probably get one when I can get the money.