1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilveRKidd19, Jul 28, 2002.

1. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    I am getting a new bass soon around the holidays and I am looking for a bass around the 400-500 dollars mark so if you guys can help me out on what bass to buy that would be great I am looking at a Fender Standerd P-Bass Thanks for your help

2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    My turn, I guess...

The overridiing question is: What do you want to sound like? Bottom-y? Mid-range peak? Bright and glassy? If you don't know, perhaps you can give us a particular recording or bassist which/who you like the sound of and you would like to sound like. Then we can help you get close. There are things that a P-bass can do that nothing else really can, but there are other things that P-basses don't do all that well. String choice and amp/speaker arrangement also affects sound. What styles do you plan to play? If you plan to play a lot of different styles, or you really can't decide, perhaps a bass with a P/J pickup configuration would offer maximum flexibility. Fender makes those too, and so does almost everybody else.

3. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    Um... Well I am probably going to be playing Pop/Punk so I think anything by Mark Hoppus (Blink 182) I would like my bass to sound like his. I know he uses a custom fender bass with different everything thank you for your time :)

4. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Mark's signature bass just came out and it's in your price range...I'd check it out. I'll probably get one when I can get the money.