Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jredstar_marley, Aug 18, 2002.

1. i was playing with my squier P-bass cheap piece of **** and the string are really hard and stuff. i went to guitar center to try out some fender jazz basses and the string are relaly soft and easy to press down on. but their tuned right. so what the problem is it the bass or the strings. and if its the string wich ones are really soft and light? and not hard to press down on? thanks:confused:

2. dougray

dougray Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2002
    western maryland
    some strings are stiffer than others but what you are describing doesnt sound like a string problem? it sounds more like your "action" needs adjusting,by lowering the strings either by adjusting the saddles on the bridge or truss rod,
    1st try a new set of strings..... good-luck...

3. I owned that same bass and had the same problem. You get what you pay for in this one, its an ok bass for beginners. The neck is pretty weak and warps pretty easy. You have to get it setup every once in a while when it gets like that. That has always fixed the problem for me. But this will get expensive, like $30 a pop. Thats why i got a new bass after a year and 2 setups.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yeah, sounds like your action is too high.

Take it to a professional and have it setup. Action lowered and reintonated, maybe even some lighter gauge strings.

Good luck!!