1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PortugalWillie, Oct 10, 2009.

1. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    Okay, so recently I posted an old guitar processor on craigslist. I posted it for trade for anything that people had laying around. I got a response from a guitar player who has a Fender Bass in his basement. He said he never plays it and would be willing to trade. I get the serial number and it dates it as either a 77/78 P bass or a 94 CIJ. He just sent me pictures and by the looks of it, it's not a 77/78. And I don't think it matches the head stock of CIJ basses, although I'm not sure. I'd ask him personally but I had to super nag him about it and I don't want him to google how much a 77 P bass is worth, because if he knows, he'll back out.

What I am asking is, if by the picture someone can identify it by the font. I have never seen a Fender head stock with that Fender font and JUST the serial number under the Fender logo.

My guess is a replacement neck with logo added.

Any ideas?

TIA

Attached Files:

2. Musky

Musky

Nov 5, 2005
    UK
    That logo isn't right at all, and the string tree and tuners are wrong for a 70s bass or the Japanese reissues.

3. PortugalWillie

PortugalWillie

Jul 17, 2009
    I googled the actual serial number that is on the bass (different than what he told me) and I found a guitar with the exact same serial/logo.

It's definitely a fake. And after more google research I found this same serial has been used on several other fakes as well.