Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FatDaddyPickle, Dec 28, 2002.

1. I need some help deciding on a bass. I played a great deal as a teenager but gave it up in college (yada, yada, yada) - I'm 32 now and miss grooving with a good drummer.:p

I've researched a good bit... Reading ALOT of posts on here about bass recommendations, Online Reviews, etc... and I've narrowed my list down to two - both by Yamaha.

BB404 or BB604 - the main difference is that the 404 has passive electronics and the 604 has active. The price difference is $50.

I don't remember this being a huge issue back in the mid-eighties. So what's the deal? Passive or Active electronics. I'm not a fusion/punk player, but I do want to experiment with slap/pop techniques.

Thanks,
    FDP

2. Thanks alot - you guys have been a lot of help.:mad:

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    hi, just saw this post. Yamaha's are solid basses in my experience. I do not own one but have played them.

On the active front. I would personally plunk down the extra $50. The active will give you more tonal options. is there an active e.q on the bass or just active pickups ?
    that will make a difference.

Peace,
    Don

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    No need to get mad.

If the active electronics are only $50 more, I would get em. But I am a fan of active basses, so I am a bit biased. But you do have more tonal options available "on-board" with a bass with an active preamp on it, IMHO.

Do you have access to both basses so that you can try em out? That would help considerably, of course, but if not, being it is only $50, I would go ahead and spring for the BB604 (although I have not played this particular model.)

5. I'm with Godoze...

All else being equal with the two basses, go active.

(I just saw the post as well.... ;) )

B

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Patience. :rolleyes: Usually people don't post if they haven't tried out the bass you are asking about. Ihave no idea which bass would be better. As far as passive vs active. I have liked basses from both categories.

Yamahas have a pretty good rep here. You will probably do fine with either.

7. Sorry I jumped the gun on the sarcastic post!!!

I have tried both and obviously they were very similar. I seemed to like the passive sound a bit better but that could have been the HUGE amp i was using.

One thing I failed to mention was that the passive BB404 came with the NE-1 Bass Parametric EQ Box free.

I haven't decided yet but I'm leaning towards the passive bass because that is what I learned on and if I want to upgrade down the road - I can do that.

Thanks for the help guys. I hope to become an active/supporting member here soon.:p

8. the bb604 has a mid-cut on/off switch? Not sure what that does...