Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need ideas and concepts on bass' 2-band compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andruca, Jan 11, 2005.

1. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Hi! I recently bought an ETEK Dynamagic stereo two-band compressor. Controls for each channel are:

Low comp threshold (-30 to +20dB)
    Low comp ratio (1:2 to 1:25)
    Low fine level (for balancing with the high comp) (-12 to +12dB)
    X-Over Freq (100Hz to 12KHz)
    High comp threshold (-30 to +20dB)
    High comp ratio (1:2 to 1:25)
    High fine level (for balancing with the low comp) (-12 to +12dB)
    Overall level for the channel (-12 to +12dB)

My main concern is what frequency to split both bands at. My other concern is I need super killer compression (yes, like a Boss comp, I like to hear this very slight decrease in volume immediately after the attack when I play a note and have long sustain -maybe not the "good" way to use compression, but it works for me and I'm sure of what I want-) and I don't seem to find a good one out of this thing. Anyone with experience in 2-band compression for bass? THANKS SO MUCH!

ANDRUCA

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No ideas?

ANDRUCA

3. If it helps, I've always liked setting the crossover low (say 100hz) and really compressing the low end. Then no matter what style you are playing (slap or fingerstyle) and no matter where on the neck you are playing at, you've always got this thick low end happening.

Sorry but I'm not good with all the controls (threshold, ratio, etc.) so I can't give any advive on where to set them.

Good luck

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

On my Rane DC-24, I set the x-over frequency to 200Hz.

5. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks both! I was trying to split bands at a much higher frequency (around 500Hz). My problem is not compression itself. I usually compress with a -10dB threshold and a rather high ratio. But as this is my first two channel compressor, I'm trying to use one channel for compressing (low THRESH and RATIO) chained with the other for limiting (higher THRESH and killer RATIO) and it works nice. But I did noticed this sub-low loss of balance (due to the frequency I split at, I think). I'll try this, splitting each channel between 100 and 200Hz. My next question is, what is "right" to get more compressed, lows or highs? Do you compress them in an even way or is there a very different way to compress each of them? THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

ANDRUCA

6. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    you should be able to squash the crap out of your bass with this thing. As far as whats "right" to compress, I thought you said you knew what kind of sound you wanted? If you cross it over at 100hz that low end compression will be probobly less noticable than the high freq stuff. The high band will be more audible and the low stuff will more felt I would think. As said before you will get a nice even low end, but if you want to "hear" more of the compression I would continue to keep more extreme settings on that hi band.

7. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    I'd start here.

8. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Thanks so much for the ideas! I went on and as Big Benner and Fuzzbass said before, the "right" place to X-over is between 100 and 300Hz. With my Stingray 5, the channel I use for compressing was set at:

LOW THRESHOLD -10dB
    LOW RATIO 6:1
    LOW BALANCE 0dB
    x-Over 200Hz
    HIGH THRESHOLD -10dB
    HIGH RATIO 10:1 (rather "squashy")
    HIGH BALANCE -3dB

For my Fernandes Gravity basses it was set:

LOW THRESHOLD -10dB
    LOW RATIO 6:1
    LOW BALANCE 0dB
    x-Over 300Hz
    HIGH THRESHOLD -10dB
    HIGH RATIO 6:1 (not such "squash" needed for the Gravitys as they have a more compressed sound)
    HIGH BALANCE 0dB

I used the other channel for limiting only, so maximum ratio and a rather high threshold so that the limiter acts moderately. I got it rather nice. Thanks also to Droog and Finger Blister, I'll keep your ideas in mind tonight when I keep experimenting. THANKS SO MUCH EVERYBODY!

ANDRUCA