1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need ideas for a really cheap cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jul 29, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I broke down and bought a G-K 400RB off eBay for cheap - I hope I didn't just get ripped. Oh, well.

Anyway, I need some ideas for a cheap cab for around the house. I won't be gigging with it - it's just for practice and for dragging to jams at a friend's house. I'm thinking a 1X12 or a 1X15.

Is it worth building something myself?

2. You'll come out cheaper to look for an old beat up used one. $100 and you'll be playing it the day you buy it.

Chris

3. I checked your profile, are you near Orland Park? The Music Go Round has an empty Ampeg B25 cab for $100. goto www.musicgoround.com and search for Ampeg in Orland Park store. It would need to be filled wit 2 - 15's, and I love that cab. I was gonna get that one, but I found one closer:

[​IMG]

You'd come out better than building one for sure. Grill cloth would cost $50 alone. They said it was pretty beat up, but dude, you could put speakers of your coice in there and be set for around $250 total. Heavy as lead, but worth it. Wheels are the answer.

Chris

4. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know by experience, but my drummer is going to buy a 15" speaker and his dad (a carpenter and long time band member) will build a cab and solder it and everything , so he will get it really cheap and the speaker will be brand new... hope it helps