Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need ideas for a really cheap cab...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Jul 29, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Well, I broke down and bought a G-K 400RB off eBay for cheap - I hope I didn't just get ripped. Oh, well.

Anyway, I need some ideas for a cheap cab for around the house. I won't be gigging with it - it's just for practice and for dragging to jams at a friend's house. I'm thinking a 1X12 or a 1X15.

Is it worth building something myself?

2. You'll come out cheaper to look for an old beat up used one. $100 and you'll be playing it the day you buy it.

Chris

3. I checked your profile, are you near Orland Park? The Music Go Round has an empty Ampeg B25 cab for $100. goto www.musicgoround.com and search for Ampeg in Orland Park store. It would need to be filled wit 2 - 15's, and I love that cab. I was gonna get that one, but I found one closer:

[​IMG]

You'd come out better than building one for sure. Grill cloth would cost $50 alone. They said it was pretty beat up, but dude, you could put speakers of your coice in there and be set for around $250 total. Heavy as lead, but worth it. Wheels are the answer.

Chris

4. nirvanafan13

nirvanafan13

Apr 14, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know by experience, but my drummer is going to buy a 15" speaker and his dad (a carpenter and long time band member) will build a cab and solder it and everything , so he will get it really cheap and the speaker will be brand new... hope it helps