Need ideas for bass rig...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xolin, Mar 5, 2004.

1. well, I decided to get a new bass instead of using what little money I had on amplification considering I wouldn't play a gig until summer. But come summer I'm going to have somewhere between 500-1000 dollars to spend on a small rig. My initial ideas are a hartke 3500 and maybe a 410 and/or a yorkville cab to add some volume. But all in all its expensive stuff :D (except the 3500, and some cheap yorkvilles ive heard of). Anyway, Ionly play through a hartke kickback 15 right now (120W, pretty good 3 band para eq +contour knob). I can get tons of great tones, but it just distorts and sounds weak when I put up the volume in band setting.
    I play some cut through bass lines and sometimes i slap (which always gets drowned out unless I completely set it up for mids and high boost, but you cant do that during a song and you lose your low end and power). I need something that will allow me to lay a powerful (not clanky) slap line and then a nice ballsy groove. A lot of low end isn't really needed, because my low lines can just be distorted and sound even better. Oh, and most importantly: i have no idea what kind of gigs I'll have :p. Something like a bar to something like 100-200 people at max, depending on which of my bands i gig most with. Anywho, no rush, information+advice is always good!

Thanks in advance,
  2. If you're on a tight budget, check out the Avatar bass cabs.

I purchased two of them (a 2x12 with horn and a 2x12 with horn). They are very affordable and sound excellent. Dave is very helpful and answers every question you have immediately. He has any kind of cab size, from 4x10, 2x10, 2x12, 1x12, 1x15.

It's definitely worth checking it out. Also, check out
    www.musiciansfriend or www.zzounds. They have a
    Behringer BX3000t bass amp for under $200.00. The amp
    is very loud and sounds better than a Hartke 3500.

Hope that helps.

3. how is the behringer better?