1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need ideas GenzBenz and Peavey

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WayneGrass, Dec 21, 2011.

1. WayneGrass

WayneGrass

May 2, 2004
    Athens, AL
    I have a GenzBenz Shuttle 3.0-10 that I love and have used for all my gigs ever since I got it. I have taken a side gig in a louder band and the Shuttle 3.0 just isn't cutting through enough for me. I don't really want to spend the money to purchase an extension cabinet for a side gig. What I do have is a Peavey 210TX combo that needs some work. The Pre and Post nobs were sheared off one night while someone was cramming it in the van. Both of the pots are shorted. I was thinking of using the Shuttle head to push the cabinet portion of the 210 combo. I am pretty sure the 210 cab is 4 ohms and the Shuttle specs say that it pushes 300 watts into 4 ohms. That will be plenty to do what I'm needing. I will add that on the combo, I can bypass the pre-amp by using the power amp input on the Peavey, but there is no volume control on the Peavey when used that way.

Any other ideas for using my existing setup to achieve more volume?

2. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Call peavey and order two new pots.. I did this to a old tax amp head. I went to RadioShack and bought a tool to suck solder off, pulled the old pots off the circuit oars, and soldered the new ones. It was a fun project and the amp was perfect ever since.

Or, add a speaker jack to the back of the combo cab, and plug the shuttle in.

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    What is the side gig and really how loud do you need to be? More speakers get yououder than more watts do.

Here's what you can do---All those Peavey's can be patched into via the "effects return" or "poweramp in" jack. As long as the master volume works on the Peavey, you run a patch cable (guitar cord) from the "effects send" or "preamp out" jack of your genz to that "effects return" or "poweramp in" jack of your peavey. You are now using your genz preamp/front end/tone shaping controls/whatever you want to call them and feeding them to the poweramp and speaker(s) of the peavey. This means your genz is controlling the tone but both amplifiers are amplifying that tone. You now have a larger 310 rig with a genz benz preamp. The peavey's master volume controls how loud it's 210 is, the shuttle controls everything else. The peavey is slaved to the genz.

Should be loud enough and easy to control/balance. I'm surprised a 110 is doing what you need to do in the first place. I assume coffeehouse/jazz gigs on upright? Slaving the 2 should get what you need for louder electric gigs.

4. WayneGrass

WayneGrass

May 2, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Synterex - DIY, good idea! I have thought of that before, maybe that's the route. I can't hurt it worse than it is now.

Will33 - It is a louder contemporary rock praise band. My regular gig is an acoustic band and I use the Shuttle combo with electric and upright. I have PA support on the vast majority of gigs. I like your 310 idea. That's different!

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    You will want to be sure, when using the Shuttle with your other amp as described, that the polarity or "phase" of the two systems is the same. This may change with the use of some functions and filters on both the Shuttle and the Peavey. If the polarity is not the same, you could end up with LESS low end rather than more.

6. WayneGrass

WayneGrass

May 2, 2004
    Athens, AL
    Agedhorse - That's interesting, are you referring to the positive and negative posts on the speakers?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Those are part of the picture, but not the whole story. Phase is a relationship in time between two signals, measured in degrees like a circle, and the phase difference can be anywhere between 0 and 180 degrees. Swapping the posts on the speaker connector just switches between two opposite values (like 0 and 180). As agedhorse indicated, some functions like EQ can alter the phase in smaller amounts, so that the relationship is rarely as simple as +/- poles. But often the only tool handy for correcting these problems IS just a +/- swap, so that's what we have to work with; but it's still important to know that what's really going on between the two amps is not so simple.

8. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Correct. The most important part though, is that not all amps have the same polarity overall (input to speaker's acoustic output), depending on the overall approach and design. Just something to be aware of when mixing and matching from different manufacturers.\

When using the preamp/power amp link function on our products, this is not an issue at all, it's already taken care of for you. This is not true with other amps.