Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need ideas on how to run arpeggios and scales

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Libersolis, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    My on going assignment from my teacher is no different than what countless others of you have been doing for years. However, I seem to be lacking the creativity to think of ideas on my own so I am coming here to ask (beg) for ideas. I need to find as many ways to run my arpeggios in different patterns as possible, from the lowest note on the neck, to A flat on the g string. Right now I am just working on playing them two octave and in tune, but that isn't going to cut it for my lessons. Any suggestions you guys have will be greatly appreciated.

2. lermgalieu

lermgalieu Supporting Member

Apr 27, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You aren't very specific about what arpeggios, but there's a million. If you can't think of any, any double bass book will have a section or two with exercises. You can do major or minor, you can do different chords (1,3,5 or 1,3,5,7 or 1,5,7,9 or whatever) ascending via scale tones, different keys, whole tones, etc... There's a whole world there and I would rather spend my time practicing than trying to write out what others have already exhaustively accounted for in books. Use your imagination....

3. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    in G...sixteenths... F#-G-G-G, A#-B-B-B, C#-D-D-D, F#-G-G-G(G-string) and up 2 more octaves.. Down/decending at the top of the FB by towards the Bridge..F#-G-G-G, #C-D-D-D.. etc down to the G on the E string.. Do this in as many keys as possible. Go as high in the Traid as you can.. Add the 7th if you like and play 1/2 step below for the first note..(single short bows)

Also, in triplets.. G-F#-G, B-Bb-B, D-Db/C#-D.. etc or with dom 7th F-E-F.. or maj..F#-F-F#.. etc as hig and as many keys as you can decending in the same mannor.. This is fun and helps with intonation in the upper position and shifts.(three notes to a bow)