1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need imput on a custom jet-phase clone idea..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Liten, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Hi!

So im lookign to get som feedback/input on an idea Im having and hope you guys can help..

The Roland Jet Phase is what made this project idea start.. and it is the pedal Im looking to clone.. + some extra features..

Its mainly a Phaser.. so the focus of the pedal will be that when engaged.. it will have a phaser sound by default..
    The fuzz part of the pedal is switchable on/off..

Ive added blend for both effects and a effect order switch..

The fast/slow switch will do what the Jet Phaser switch did.. change the speed/rate in a leslie typ manner..

The control layout for the fuzz is standard but the phaser "mode" switch is to set the stages.. Im hoping for 4,6 and 10 or 12..
    Drive on the phaser side is infact max intensity/rate..

Ive used a Moollon product image to exemplify this and hope noone is offended @ moollon for me doing so.. the pedal designs are just so beautiful that one can't find a nicer "box" to start with..
    If this image is in conflict with any corporate agreements or anything like that.. I will remove it @once! (don't hesitate to PM me.. anyone..)

Again: This is just a scetch-up for an idea that will be custom-ordered in the end and is not intended as productmarketing or similar..

Please post your thoughts and ideas...

[​IMG]

2. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I think the Jetphase is a very complicated circuit, and kudos to you for giving it a go.

Will you be using your own PCB, or one of the freely available ones that already exist?

3. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    cool!!!

is the rate at which the "leslie" speed goes from slow to fast going to be variable or fixed?

4. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    As you said.. its a REALY complicated circuit and thats why Ill be custom ordering it from someone.. If it will land localy or over sea's I have no idea.. It's way to complicated for me to persue by myself.. (I nearly messed up my loopstrip job thats a 1 of 5 on the hard-to-solder scale so :rollno: ..

Great question.. How bout the min speed/rate is value on an internal micro-pot? that way you could set it to whatever your prefered taste is without adding another knob.. so slow (default walue) is what evers on the internal pot and fast is what the "drive" knob on the phaser end of the pedal shows??
    Or is it better with another knob? so you set both values on top?

EDIT: If this proves to be useful.. the blend knobs should make it a good option for other instruments 2??? no??

EDIT 2: I missunderstod you.. why not make the "from"-"too" speed a variable.. that will make each pedal handle and sound uniqe to some extent.. but that should be on an internal micro-pot i think.. not something I plan to change often..

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Slow and Fast speeds should either be knobs on top, or have one knob for slow or fast, and a Tap Tempo for which ever rate mode doesn't have a knob.

The Jet Phaser could also benefit from a clean blend/more bass response.

6. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Taptempo is cool.. but im looking for "plug and play" funktionality that lets me focus on playing... so 2 knobs on top that handles speed/rate min and max..

As the blends will be buffered I hope they will be able to let any input instrument be able to dail in a sound that works to anyones tastes...

Thanks for your input...

7. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I owned a Jet Phaser for a while, so if you have any questions about it, I'll do my best to answer them...

And believe me, Tap Tempo makes for more plug n' play than 2 knobs does!

So, imagine - 4 Footswitches.

1 - Fuzz on/off
    2 - Fast/Slow
    3 - Tap Tempo
    4 - Bypass

You could press the fast/slow switch to go into each mode, and use the tap tempo to set each speed, then just have one knob to set the rate at which it adjusts from speed to speed.

LED's that pulse in time with your tempo setting would be awesome too.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Tap tempo is also hideously complicated. It makes the jetphase schematic look like a lego puzzle in comparison :)

9. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Great ideas.. but it would require the pedal to actually store the tempos somehow? no?
    I dont whant to be forced to "set" tempos over and over each time Ive unplugged the power?

Like the pulsing led idea... sort of like on the new expressionpedal from moog?

Toasted.. not for me to worry about! ;)

10. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    What stage of the phaser would you guys look for if you had to choose 1 or 2?

I know lots of guys in here seen larrys vid and so the higher stages (10 or 12) seems like "must haves".. no?

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Maybe a simplification: would you ever really want phaser before fuzz?

Also, I thought it was purely an 8-stage phaser. As far as I knew there were only two non-Leslie phaser modes on the JP -- deep and shallow. Also, how are you dealing with the resonance control?

12. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    *making note: Resonance.. were should it go and what does it do.* :help:

13. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I don't think you would need 4 different stage selections. Just 2 would probably be enough for most, 3 maximum. 4, 6, and 10 or something.

Also, "Setting" the tempos would really take no longer than 2 seconds per speed (obviously depending on how slow your going) but 2 taps, and it's done, so it shouldn't be that big a problem every time you turn plug in the pedal. Not to mention if you're trying to sync the Phasing to a beat, you can reconfigure anytime during the song just with 2 taps on the switch.

14. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    Alright.. sort of like the Maxon phaser?

I like the Idea of tap-tempo..
    2 issues I have with it are the caseing footprint gets bigger..
    and fast/slow should have their own micro pot so you can set a default value just in case one finds tap-tempo unuseful..

Whoever get's this custom order is going to bleed me dry of cash... :bawl:

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If you go over to the diystompboxes.com forum, there is one guy who built a complete Jet Phaser clone. He provided a great deal of commentary on the build process, which he described as a major PITA. At the end of it, he said "I'm never doing that again."

IOW, you may get any number of eager-to-please pedal builders saying they'll do it for you, but I would not hold my breath on the delivery of any actual pedal.

16. Liten

Liten

Jan 26, 2007
    Sweden
    thanks for the heads up!