Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info about those three cheap all-tubes heads (sovtek and pignose)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pyouh, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Pyouh

Pyouh

Jan 8, 2003
    Well, first of all, sorry for my english, I'm a french guy. ;)
    Then, in my quest of the great and affordable amplication I've found 3 cheap all-tubes heads (between 300 and 700 Euros) :
    The Pignose B-100VH, the Sovtek MIG-50 and the Sovtek MIG-100 :

Pignose - B-100VH :
    [​IMG]
    It's a 100 W head with four 6L6s tubes and two 12AX7s tubes. I've never heard about this brands, that's why I'm a little bit affraid. The reviews on internet are pretty rare, but they are all positive.
    Pignose : www.pignose.com

Sovtek Bassov Blues Midget (MIG 50B) :
    [​IMG]
    It's a 50 W head, with two 5881s for the power amp and one 12AX7WA and one 12AX7WB for the preamp. I know that Sovtek is famous for it tubes production, and also in the construction of the Russian version of the Electro Harmonix pedals. But about the amps... ?
    And 50 watts, even with an all-tubes head, is it sufficient to play among a drummer, a singer and an overdriven guitar?
    Sovtek : www.sovtek.com

Sovtek Bassov Blues Boy (MIG 100B) :
    [​IMG]
    This is the MIG 50B's elder sister. We should feel more comfortable with 100 Watts. It works with three 12AX7s and with four 5881s. The reviews found on internet are numerous and very positive.
    Sovtek : www.sovtek.com

Now, I would want you advise about them. Ok, they're all-tubes and cheap, but do they sound great? If not, I prefer to buy a solid one or hybrid combo.
    Thanks in advance, and may the groove be with you! ;)

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I have the Pignose G40V which although designed for guitar is a bassman clone. I use it at home for bass. When I researched the brand on http://www.harmonycentral.com I found that reliability can be poor as these are made very cheaply.

If you intend to use whatever amp you buy as a main one without backup I would look into the Sovtek stuff which unfortunately I know nothing about.

Hope this helps and you got a bump back up the top.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You get what you pay for! :meh:

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Yep I got an all tube 40w practice amp that sounds great with guitar or bass for £150. It's not my main amp for either instrument and its small enough to chuck in the car as a spare. It's got 4 and 8 ohm outputs so it will work with all my speaker cab options.

I just dont trust it to be my main amp.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I was just thinking that, as I paid about £800 for my WT300, which has peformed very well (great sound) for 4 or so years and is very light - 13lbs or so!

But a couple of weeks ago it stopped working and I took it to a local repairers. The guy opened it and checked everything - but kept going on about how high quality everything was and that it should last for years to come - his words were something like - there is nothing to go wrong here!!

The problem was "dirt or foreign body" in the send/return jacks on the back - anything in there cuts out the main circuit - I was so relieved!
    :cool:

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Glad it worked out for you and never leave home without a can of WD40 :)