Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info about Washburn XB100 or 200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alx564, Sep 18, 2000.

1. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I have been playing bass for about a year now and I have gotten pretty good. I am using a crappy lotus right now that sounds like crap and needs to have its neck adjusted and Im looking to buy either a Washburn XB100 or XB200. Right now Im leaning towards the 200. Im 14 and on a limited budget otherwise I would go for somethin better. Could you please give me some info on either of these basses. Thanks

2. FuegodeX

FuegodeX

Sep 16, 2000
    How long have you been playing? Well, what i suggest you do is to look for some basses by Schecter.If your in the 4 string buying they make some nice basses. I have a Schecter Diamond series SB-1, and i still play it even though i have a Ernie Ball. They are in decent price range and thats what I would recommend.As for the Washburn, they are pretty good, i had a choice of buying an XB200 and i chose the Schecter over it.If money is a problem, check e-bay, they can get some great deals but be careful.

3. my first and current bass is an XB100 (looking to get a rumblefish, maybe a used stingray, hopefully soon) and it's a very solid bass, good intonation, good tuners. what i don't like is this: the action is too high, no matter how much i screw with the truss rod, and popping is very hard. also there is a lack of variety in tone, it's either dark or trebly, not much of an in-between. but for $200 new it's overall a good bass, and it looks pretty damn good IMO.

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I also have an XB100.More or less i agree with dancehallclasher...this bass is good for its price range,but its price range is very poor...I've heard that XB200 is much better,so i would probably go for that.Now,if you can't afford it,better buy a more expensive used bass-which i would also prefer than getting the XB200,too...Anyway,the XB100 is too poor for my needs,i just can't recommend it...
    hope this helps...:)

[Edited by Dragonlord on 09-19-2000 at 04:40 PM]

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Thanks for all the help guys :)

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have looked at exactly one Washburn XB-100. The one I looked at was pretty crudely finished, but played and sounded OK. I have an old Washburn XS-2, which is one of the forerunners of the current XB series. The one I have is plywood (laminated mahogany, I think), but it sounds pretty good. I called Washburn about the XB-100 and 200, and they said their bodies are made of solid wood. I think the Oscar Schmidts are plywood. Anyway, if you find a good one, the XB-100 or (especially) 200 should be OK. The 100 has 20 frets and the 200 has 24, IIRC.

dancehallclasher - I had that action problem on my XS-2 also, but I shimmed the neck, and now it plays really nice. Before, I could set the relief correctly, or even dead flat, and the action would be high with the bridge saddles all the way down.

7. j3b3r

j3b3r

Aug 19, 2000
    I used to have washburn XB200. It's a good bass for this range of bass. It's construction even better than fender MIM. But the down side are the pickups and the electronic are craps. They are very WEAK, but with a big rig you can have a big output. It's action is very good, very low, the bridge is good too. but The tuner sometime slip out of tune.
    The nack is slim and fast and the neck joint is very tight.

My suggestion is change the pickups and the electronics with EMG's, Basslines or Bartolini. I changed mine with Basslines passive pickup and active electronics. It get better and sounds very good.
    If you have more money you should buy Wahburn xb400, it has active electronic.