NEED INFO!Advanced Audio Design Pre-amp model 101B Anybody ever had one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrGump, Aug 28, 2001.

1. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Im not a pre amp guy but I got an Advanced Audio Design pre-amp,in a trade.It is model 101B.It is rackmountable(one space).Made in Eugene Oregon.I believe it to be mid seventies to early eighties.
    I seem to remember this company morphing into another company.Can anybody help me use it properly?Even a basic pre-amp 'How too" would help.
    It has on the front-from left to right- Pre1,pre2,master,then two boost toggles-one labelled gain and the next labelled Hi.Then a Low knob with a toggle labelled150(up) and 75(down).A mid knob with a toggle1K(up)500(down).Then a high knob with a toggle3K(up)2K(down).
    the back has a High level knob with the "Bi amp outputs" high and low.Then a jack marked "Output line level"and a three pronged female jack.
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated.Thanks.
  2. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Somebody help me out here PLEASE!!
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    ok, here are my guesses:

pre 1 and pre 2 would be pregains. does it have two inputs? or maybe 1 is a solid state gain and the other a tube gain or something? not too sure...

gain toggle would be if..say, you have a passive bass you'd turn it on, or with an active bass you'd turn it off.

hi boost would boost the highs, like a bright switch.

the low, mid and high knobs would be EQ, and the switches vary the center frequency of the eq.

on the back, the high level knob controls where the cutoff point for the biamp would be. everything below this point goes to the low, above goes to the high.

if you're not biamping, you'd use either the "output line level" jack or the XLR output to plug into your power amp.

that sounds like a BADASS preamp man...i'm gonna do some more digging for info on it!!!

4. MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    So that three pronged female "jack" is the XLR output,correct.What is the difference between the two outputs for Non-biAmp situations?
    The two gains must be stages,as there are no tubes in this unit.
    There is only one input for an instrument.
    I got this as part of a trade and never used it.
    The guy I got it from used it on top of an old SVT.
    I have a '69 SVT.I guess I could use it non-biamped into the bass channel.
    I guess I could also Biamp the bottom into the bass channel of the SVT,and run the highs into the bright channel.......starting to sound interesting!
    Any info or input anyone has is greatly appreciated.
    Please keep it coming.