NEED INFO!Advanced Audio Design Pre-amp model 101B Anybody ever had one?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrGump, Aug 28, 2001.

1. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Im not a pre amp guy but I got an Advanced Audio Design pre-amp,in a trade.It is model 101B.It is rackmountable(one space).Made in Eugene Oregon.I believe it to be mid seventies to early eighties.
    I seem to remember this company morphing into another company.Can anybody help me use it properly?Even a basic pre-amp 'How too" would help.
    It has on the front-from left to right- Pre1,pre2,master,then two boost toggles-one labelled gain and the next labelled Hi.Then a Low knob with a toggle labelled150(up) and 75(down).A mid knob with a toggle1K(up)500(down).Then a high knob with a toggle3K(up)2K(down).
    the back has a High level knob with the "Bi amp outputs" high and low.Then a jack marked "Output line level"and a three pronged female jack.
    Any help with this is greatly appreciated.Thanks.

2. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Somebody help me out here PLEASE!!

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ok, here are my guesses:

pre 1 and pre 2 would be pregains. does it have two inputs? or maybe 1 is a solid state gain and the other a tube gain or something? not too sure...

gain toggle would be if..say, you have a passive bass you'd turn it on, or with an active bass you'd turn it off.

hi boost would boost the highs, like a bright switch.

the low, mid and high knobs would be EQ, and the switches vary the center frequency of the eq.

on the back, the high level knob controls where the cutoff point for the biamp would be. everything below this point goes to the low, above goes to the high.

if you're not biamping, you'd use either the "output line level" jack or the XLR output to plug into your power amp.

that sounds like a BADASS preamp man...i'm gonna do some more digging for info on it!!!

jason

4. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!
    So that three pronged female "jack" is the XLR output,correct.What is the difference between the two outputs for Non-biAmp situations?
    The two gains must be stages,as there are no tubes in this unit.
    There is only one input for an instrument.
    I got this as part of a trade and never used it.
    The guy I got it from used it on top of an old SVT.
    I have a '69 SVT.I guess I could use it non-biamped into the bass channel.
    I guess I could also Biamp the bottom into the bass channel of the SVT,and run the highs into the bright channel.......starting to sound interesting!
    Any info or input anyone has is greatly appreciated.
    Please keep it coming.

5. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Anyone else know anything? thanks

beans-on-toast likes this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Wow, you've been very patient!
    Unfortunately there's next to zero info about AAD on the web. I found one mention of them from a listing of equipment builders from 1983.

There appears to have been a guitar and a bass version of the 101 preamp and they shared the same enclosures and layout. It looks like they might have even shared the same printed circuit board, with the "B" version having extra components for the bi-amp output. The guitar version still had PRE-1/PRE-2 and master adjustments but lacked bi-amping capability, and simply plugged the outputs and crossover adjustment. I can't think of any reason for the dual PRE knobs, but there isn't a tube or anything of that sort.

The XLR is a balanced DI output that could be connected to a mixing console. The other output would probably be unbalanced to connect to a mono amp.

I think @jasonbraatz described the EQ section correctly, as well as the bi-amp output section.

I have no experience with the SVT and can't advise on hooking that part up.
    Maybe @beans-on-toast @Wasnex @Passinwind or @agedhorse have additional insight?

HaphAsSard and beans-on-toast like this.
  7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Never seen one.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    It’s very rare from what I understand. Never seen one. Used by Alex Lifeson of Rush on tour at one point. It doesn’t seem to be worth a lot based on reverb sales. The problem with some of the products from this era is that they can be a bit hissy relative to current products.

EQ is flat at noon.

Gary Hardesty claims to be a founder of the Eugene Oregon company. His company was sold to Harmon/JBL in 1991.

From the manufacturer in 1978:

Features:
    Two preamp controls (in series) allow you to more accurately control tonal characteristics such as sustain, overdrive and harmonic content.

Low boost switch - full band linear boost +3dB.Hi boost switch - 6dB per active shelving @ 1000 Hz.

Selectable frequencies for Low, Mid, and Hi Equalization. 1/4 inch and XLR-3 outputs (both unbalanced). Note that the XLR-3 is not a balanced output.

Specifications:
    Input - Two series connected pre-amps to control stage gain & overdrive characteristics.

Equalization - Low, Mid & Hi EQ with +/-15dB boost & cut, switch selectable center frequencies, Treble 2K/3K, Mid 1K/500Hz, Bass 75/150Hz.

Frequency Response - +/- 1.5dB, EQ set flat pre-amp set for no distortion. 30Hz-22KHz at 2 volts out.

Hum & Noise Level - 70 dB below rated output.

Rated Output - 2 Volts RMS into 500 ohms or higher.

Distortion (THS) - .01% Harmonic minimum, 85% Harmonic maximum dependent on pre-amp control settings.

Output - Low impedance, Line level, Unbalanced.

Circuitry - Low noise, fully solid state.

All components are under-rated for long trouble free life.

Dimensions - 1 3/4 inches high by 19 inch standard 1U rack front panel. 8 1/8 inches deep.

Advanced Audio Designs 101B Rackmount Bass Guitar Preamp Used | Reverb

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    HaphAsSard likes this.
  9. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    thanks. I saw the reverb listings also. Why do you say its rare? What do you feel is a fair listing price for it?
    My serial number is 0177B or 8.

10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    No idea what the current asking price is, maybe $100 as is.

For more information on the amp, maybe a manual, why not contact Gary at [email protected].

https://www.linkedin.com/in/garyhardesty

11. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Will do! thanks