Need info from SWR users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laucenar, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Laucenar

Laucenar

Feb 8, 2011
    Canada
    Hi guys. I have, among other amps, a SWR Workingman's 10 combo. I didn't use it for awhile, and recently tried it out again. I quite like the sound I get with the mid and bass cranked, without any aural enhancer usage. I currently use an Ampeg PF-500, and I struggle to get a solid, punchy low end, while also having a nice grinding, cutting higher tone.

I know SWR is owned by Fender now, so my question is: If I like the sound I can get out of this little combo, would I be happy with something like the SWR headlite?

I appreciate any info & insight.

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Although I've not played through a Headlite yet, I too own a Workingman's 10 Combo and love it's tone as well. I've also found the new SWR amps to sound excellent and retain that signature tone. I'd not be afraid of the Headlite and it is a cute little bugger too!

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Try cutting around 200-300hz on the Ampeg head and you will get an "SWR-like" sound going. A little boost around 2khz to 6khz for some more clarity too. Put all the other controls flat and don't touch the switches just yet. Keep the EQ on your bass flat too, just move around the pickup blend controls.

I doubt you need to get a SWR head just yet, mess with what you have first.

4. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I sold my headlite to get the pf500. IF you listen to the head through headphones its very easy to dial in a SWR tone. You just have to have a cabinet to match. The PF cabs dont nail that tone very well. The head you have is fine though, just do what gearhead stated. I would suggest getting a more hi-fi cab though if you really wanna get that swr tone. you can find some decent cabs out there for pretty cheap used. I recomend the ampeg BXT410.

The headlite amps are great, but the knobs are very hard to see. Also it sounds really good out of the box, but twisting the knobs really doesnt do all that much. There is way more versatility in the pf500.

5. Laucenar

Laucenar

Feb 8, 2011
    Canada
    I use a GK NEO 4x10 (+tweeter) with my Ampeg PF500.

I actually had a GK MB Fusion that I tried out for a month before returning it to Long & McQuade. It was a really nice amp and sounded great, with a fat bottom end, but it lacked part of the sound I was looking for. I went back to my trusty PF-500. I do like it and its features, especially the DI which is almost dead silent; the GK's was noisy and almost unusable even with the ground lift activated.

Thanks guys, I'll continue to explore my current setup.

6. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    I've got both a Headlite and an Ampeg 7Pro. As much as I hate to say it, the Headlite does sound pretty decent, and I've played a number of Ampeg heads over the years (V4B original, V6B original, SB12, B15N original, 70s SVT blankline with white rocker switches, SVT3Pro, VR - of course I work on amps for a living but still have owned a number of these heads). I only got the Headlite because I had run into some money and found someone parting off with his cheap. Same thing with the 7Pro. Only things I hate about the Headlite are that once you get on a darkened stage forget about seeing amp settings unless you paint the indents in the knobs first, and even then it's hard to see them to make a quick change and the Neutrix N4F jacks they use will not take a 1/4" plug. C'mon Fender/SWR. Ampeg did it. Why cant you?

I'll always love my Ampeg heads, but at 3.5lbs and 400watts/4 ohms its hard to beat the Headlite (the 7Pro is 12lbs and 1000watts/4ohms).

7. Jheake

Jheake

Jan 21, 2010
    Gilbert az
    I too have the PF-500 i use it currently with the PF210 and the cab colors the sound a little too much for my taste. when i listen to the head through headphones it sounds amazing. but not quite as good through the pf-cab, im sure they did that on purpose though.

I was thinking about picking one of those cabs up. i dont care for the GK amps as far as tone is concerned but im looking for a cab that reproduces exactly what the head sounds like. Im wondering if the GK neo cabs are right up that alley? I know the old ampeg BXT cabs do that, but they are heavy at almost 100 lbs.

any thoughts on this?

If so im gonna pick one up. those prices are great.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1

OP, if you haven't, check out the response graphs in the first page of this thread. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/swr-aural-enhancer-bypass-643201/

SWR's baked in curve is a fairly narrow but deep dip in the lowmids and the treble end of things playing a little louder than the bass end. Gearhead's eq suggestions will get you closer to that. If you're pumping up the lowmids on your workingman's, what you're doing is moving that big dip up closer to even, not actually boosting it.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021