1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need info on a Harmony bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bronsonelliott, Aug 3, 2012.

1. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Apr 14, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm trying to find out some information about a Harmony jazz bass I found on Craigslist. Here's the listing with pics:

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/msg/3154925051.html

If anyone can point me to some online resources like how old this bass may be, reviews, model numbers, etc. I'd appreciate it.

The guy says he's only had it about 5 years and is valued ~$400. I didn't think Harmony had been made for a few years and definitely didn't think they were $400 basses. I've always thought Harmony was budget brand. At least the later year Sears-sold models were.

Thanks!!

2. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    Interesting. I have the same make "P" bass for sale. Mine is not 100% original, but has been modified and upgraded with new pickups, CTS tone circuit and bridge. Personally I think these basses are completely under valued. I had to do some fret work, but nothing out of the ordinary. I don't know what they sold for new, but I am asking $200 for mine.

You can check it out here; http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/semi-custom-modified-p-style-bass-904360/

I would play it before you buy it, or buy one from a reputable seller that can vouch for condition and playability.

Good luck.

3. bronsonelliott

bronsonelliott

Apr 14, 2011
    Thanks Syco_bass. I've never owned a Harmony before but I have also heard that even though they are a "budget brand" they are very good guitars & basses. I'm definitely interested in it but only at the right price and, of course, depending on it's playability.

Thanks again!

4. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Custom builder - Arizona Bass Company/Curcio Custom Basses
    You're welcome. I don't know about an original Harmony, but the necks on them seem to be well made and feel nice. How the electronics and pickups sound, is another story.

Good luck