1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need info on amp building!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Colin.Lush, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I am looking at building my own amp in an effort to save money on buying one. I was just wondering if a 15watt into 4 ohms, nominal @ 1kHz amp can be used to power speakers larger than 15w, help please?!

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    You can certainly power a speaker with a higher rating than the amp. For power amp circuits, I recommend taking a look at:

www.41hz.com

They sell nifty Class-D power amp modules in kit form. Also, look at the "chip amp" forum at:

www.diyaudio.com

At the power levels you are talking about, you can get away with not having to make your own power supply, thus skirting electrical safety issues. Instead, you can just use a large wall wart.

Saving money will be tricky, so I suggest preparing yourself mentally for this to be as much of a learning project as anything else.

3. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I don't mind spending money, I was just looking to save some. Thanks for the help I will look at those links, and see what I can do. I just want more of an output than what I'm getting from the 8" speaker that is in the amp, it gets very distorted when I turn it up.

4. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    Also the amp I am looking is going to be taken out of a Peavey Max 158 combo, I was wondering if it was possible to basically take this out and make a case for it out of MDF, and the hook that up to a cab.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yes, that is quite possible. My own view is that 1/2 inch birch veneer plywood would be a bit nicer than MDF, and possibly easier to work with.

Of course, the usual caveat applies: don't get yourself killed.

6. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    so do you have any wattage suggestions, etc. for me to use on this?