Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need info on Baltimore & vicinity

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by giantjerk, Oct 3, 2005.

1. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I may be relocating to the greater Baltimore area. I currently work in downtown Cincinnati and live on the east side of the city just outside the loop. Anyone live around the Baltimore area or lived there recently? If so I'm interested in any and all opinions, good, bad or neutral. Any recommendations on family oriented communities. My wife and I both work professional jobs, we have one 4 year old child and are under 45. If you don't want to reply publicly feel free to send me a PM.

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    ellicott city is great. So is Towson. I lived in baltimore most of my life and those are the places i recommend. Do not live in the city as it is very violent.

3. jbahleda

jbahleda

Feb 22, 2004
    I dont know much about most of the town, but they have a great aquarium...my wife and I are planing on relocating there after I finish school.

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check with a guy who posts here under the name "T-Bal" (Thom Baldwin), he's an upright player lives around there.

5. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    I knew you guys would not let me down. Thanks for the replies so far. My wife has (distant) relatives that live in Towson that we will be talking to later in the month as this opportunity progresses.

6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    The best thing about the Baltimore area IMO is the Chesapeake Bay. Living on or near the water is a huge benefit and a way of life for many (me included). I would recommend Anne Arundel County, near Baltimore, and on or near the water. I prefer Severna Park, Arnold, and Annapolis to any of Baltimore's immediate suburbs. They are still within a 40 minute commute of Baltimore but well worth the drive. Feel free to PM me for any info.

7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  8. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    Another vote for Anne Arundel co. I moved to Pasadena from Baltimore co [where I grew up] about 10 years ago. I like it here much better. I am a boater, so being near the Bay is important. Good luck in your search ...

9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Nice! I'm in Severna Park. Cheers to the Magothy!

10. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Where are you working? That has a big effect on where you can live. Baltimore has virtually non-existant mass transit, so you will be commuting via a car. If your job is below the city you don't want to live up in Harford County like me, etc.

The city itself isn't a bad place, but it really has little to recomend it as far as places to live.

11. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, i lived in Belair for two years...not fun going south...

12. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My mother lives in Baltimore. I lived there for one year around the Pimlico race track. It was a very nice neighborhood. I can't recall the name of the exact location. Where my mother lives there are a ton of condos available I think. If you want to I could contact my mother about places in the area.

13. giantjerk

giantjerk

Jan 18, 2003
    Allen, TX
    My wife is interviewing with University hospital/UMMC which is in the southwest quadrant of downtown Baltimore. My current employer has an office located in central downtown Baltimore that I could transfer to or I can work from home.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you would then prolly want to move south of he city.
    linthicum is nice..