Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need info on banjos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cone, Feb 27, 2002.

1. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    hey, i was goin through my attic today and found and old banjo. i was wonderin what the note order is (like the bass is E A D G)

2. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    There are different kinds of banjos, but i think most of them are tuned like this: C G D A, like a viola. there are probably banjos tuned like violins: G D A E, and then there are 5-stringed ones, C G D A E. Then there are six-stringed banjos, tuned just like your ordinary guitar. I'm hope i'm not too far from the truth.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
  4. The five-stringer typicallying used in bluegrass is often tuned to a G-major arpeggio. The string closest to you (which is has its peg head in the side of the neck instead of the head) is actually the highest pitched string; I think it's kind of a drone. Then comes the lowest string.

The other common types of banjos are the 4 stringers, which are either plectrum or tenor banjos. I think one is tuned in fourths and one in fifths, but I can't remember which.

The six-string banjos are tuned EADGBE like a guitar, and I think are designed with guitar-like necks and scale. They're for guitarists who want a banjo sound.

I looked into banjo before deciding on bass. Go find yourself some Earl Scruggs and Bela Fleck to hear some banjo stuff.

5. My 5-string Gibson Mastertone is tuned to open G.

(hi)G - D - G - B - D

6. i want a bass banjo.like i want to learn how to play a banjo,and i wish there was a bass banjo.

7. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sorry about the confusion. The tenor banjo is the one tuned in fifths though.

8. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Umm, don't have one in stock at the moment. How about a mandoline bass?

[​IMG]

9. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Umm, sorry, found it behind the bass flutes...

Shall I wrap it for you?

[​IMG]

10. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm gonna get nightmares from that last headstock.... Yuck.

Or that guys moustasche! :eek:

11. i seen that upright bass banjo in bass player..i want to know if there is i heard les claypool got a bass banjo made for him its pretty much a banjo but diffent.like how a bass is allmost the same as guitar(thats the best way i can put it)

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I made a thread a few weeks ago about seeing a bass Dobro.

I love hearing some guys who really know what they are doing, picking on some banjo's and mandolins. It seems that Bluegrass is really making it's way into the mainstream.

13. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    More than anything as a child I wanted an electric guitar. Neighbor had a candy apple red strat. I wanted one soooooo bad. Did my parents let me get an electric guitar? NO. Instead they got me a BANJO. A five string Lyle. They sound great and add cool dimensions to music. I like bluegrass, but all I'm saying is, be careful with them. That's no mistake that those people in the above pictures look like that.